Author Topic: I need an advise  (Read 35686 times)

Neron

I need an advise
« on: May 05, 2006, 02:52:00 PM »
Hi!
 Just want to ask for an advise.I'm currently using the windows firewall.,but as we all now it doesn't protect outbound traffic.Zone alarm is extremely heavy for my computer(just 750MHz,256 ram.Segate firewall pro was much lighter but it was getting older(and was a bit heavy too).That's why I switched to windows firewall again.And no problems with it at all.I am very happy with it,but will gladly consider to change it with something better if it's not heavy and provides good protection.It should be easy to setup too.

Can you please give me a clue?Is there such firewall
Thank you

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: I need an advise
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 03:32:31 PM »
I assume you mean Sygate Pro firewall and not Seagate that make hard disks but ii don't think they make firewalls.

There are others, Comodo, Jetico, Sunbelt Kerio, etc.
See some firewall tests for comparison, some are freeware but many are paid for versions http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.php.

Check out the tests and see how they do there is no point in getting a light firewall if it doesn't provide adequate protection. Life is a compromise on protection and I suppose footprint/resource use. There are some firewalls that are utilised for gaming, etc. so should be light on resources, try a google search.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mauserme

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 12:46:56 AM »
It should be easy to setup too.
Then Jetico is probably not the one you want.  Its a very good firewall but not as easy as the others David mentioned.

M

Edit:  Wulf recommended Filseclab Personal Firewall Professional in another thread as being very light on resources.  I haven't tried it - if you do post again with your opinion.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 12:55:14 AM by mauserme »

Mastertech

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 05:48:32 AM »
On slower machines it is better to just use the XP Firewall. Make sure to install all the Windows Updates especially SP2 and just check the exceptions. The average person doesn't really need outbound protection and is better off making sure they have an update AV installed like Avast and realtime AntiSpyware protection like Windows Defender.

Neron

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 07:19:56 AM »
On slower machines it is better to just use the XP Firewall. Make sure to install all the Windows Updates especially SP2 and just check the exceptions. The average person doesn't really need outbound protection and is better off making sure they have an update AV installed like Avast and realtime AntiSpyware protection like Windows Defender.

Yes ,my experience tells me the same.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 08:32:57 AM »
Windows firewall is fine until the computer is infected by a Trojan, in which event the Trojan will be able to connect out, and may be able to bring down the firewall completely, allowing more malware to connect in. Some Trojans can bore a hole in Windows firewall, meaning that even when the Trojan is removed from the computer, a hacker is left with a way into the computer.

A knowledgeable user can of course avoid getting Trojans on their system- by not opening email attachments, not downloading from crack sites or peer-to-peer networks, keeping browser and OS up to date etc. It is perhaps the average user who needs to use a third party firewall- the sort of person we see on the forum who manages to get infected with a Trojan.

With a little knowledge, a Firewall which controls outbound traffic can be a good idea. Certainly Windows firewall is too easy to bring down completely should a Trojan find its way onto a system.

I'm using Kerio with 256M ram with no problem

Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Mastertech

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 09:08:05 AM »
With an updated AV, you will not get a Trojan to begin with. I can always tell the people who actuall deal with end users in real life. The Windows XP Firewall is more than adequate for the average user. Third party firewalls require too much user interaction for most people and either one of two things happen, something legimate stops working because of it or people set the thrid party firewall to let everything connect without warning and it becomes irrelevant.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 09:12:06 AM by Mastertech »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 09:16:03 AM »
With an updated AV, you will not get a Trojan to begin with.

We see plenty of people here who get Trojans. There are plenty of Trojans that avast! does not detect. I'm sure other AV's miss Trojans too. The risk of getting a Trojan of course depends on the type of activity undertaken. If users want to download executables from risky sources, I can't make such a bold statement with any confidence.

I can always tell the people who actually deal with end users in real life.

Yes, it's true of course. We deal with real users who have such problems almost everyday on the forum.

Mastertech

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 09:17:40 AM »
Outbound protection is not a solution to Trojan Infection. And no you don't deal with real users in real life, you deal with people posting to a forum, which is why you don't realize you keep giving bad advice.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 09:21:15 AM »
Mastertech, you are not the source of all wisdom.

Mastertech

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 01:03:20 PM »
The average user is much better off with the simple XP Firewall. There is just less to worry about. Any Trojan written well enough could bypass any firewall once it has system access. Zone Alarm for instance goes by application name. A trojan could easily call itself something like WindowsUpdates.exe and 99 out of 100 average users will let it access the Internet.

Especially on older systems the average user has no need for all the excess overhead from a 3rd party firewall when they really just need a basic Firewall such as the Windows XP one.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 01:05:45 PM by Mastertech »

galooma

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 01:12:51 PM »
giving bad advice.
What moron would suggest windows defender on a system with limited resources.
 Neron might have to get used to lots of idle time waiting  for bills latest bungle to finish running him around.

for a moment there i thought you actually helped someone .
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 01:15:06 PM by Cloussau »

Mastertech

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2006, 01:21:56 PM »
Yes please prove how Windows Defender hurts performance when it's system requirements are:

Pentium 233
64MB RAM

::)

But hey it is always better to shout out unsubstantiated claims because hating Microsoft is cool.

Mastertech

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2006, 01:25:09 PM »
Here is more useful information:

Improvements in Windows Defender (Beta 2):

-Enhanced performance through a new scanning engine.
-Streamlined, simplified user interface and alerts.   
-Improved control over programs on your computer using enhanced Software Explorer.   
-Multiple language support with globalization and localization features.   
-Protection technologies for all users, whether or not they have administrator rights on the computer.    
-Support for assistive technology for individuals who have physical or cognitive difficulties, impairments, and disabilities.   
-Support for Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.   
-Automatic cleaning according to your settings during regularly scheduled scans.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2006, 01:36:32 PM »
I don't know what Defender is like but MS Anti-Spyware used to consume a lot of resources when I was trying it out. (About two or three time more than my firewall.)

I think your MS plug is a bit off-topic as Neron asked for info about firewalls.

There is no such thing as an average user. All users are different and most can make up their own minds given good information.