Author Topic: Suggestion for Site Blocking Feature  (Read 837 times)

REDACTED

Suggestion for Site Blocking Feature
« on: October 17, 2017, 04:19:47 AM »
Hello Avast,

Thanks for your great products! Been using Avast for over 10 years and your program and features keep getting better and better. I particularily like the Site Blocking feature from the Web Shield and I have a suggestion for you.

Currently, in order to add a site URL to be blocked, one has to go in Avast settings, open the Web Shield, find the Block Site subsection.... It is time consuming.... So I recommend enhancing your web addons to include the possibility of adding the site right from there (or have a  contextual option to do so from the address bar). Avast could prompt about different formats of URL to be blocked (whether it is the whole domain, or the particular page we are visiting...). The community would strongly appreciate this feature for sure.

Also, it would be nice to have a way of having exporting-importing options, so the community could pass lists to each other to add and improve their browsing experience.

Thanks !

REDACTED

Re: Suggestion for Site Blocking Feature
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 06:20:57 PM »
This is a good suggestion , the only challenge that they might have are the various type of browsers that we have right now. One can just use another browser to visit the site which is being blocked by the browser where that plugin is installed.

Perhaps, they can do something about it though.

REDACTED

Re: Suggestion for Site Blocking Feature
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 09:22:47 PM »
Hi J.Bryl

The Web Shield blocks the connection on the local machine level. I tested it. As soon as a URL is added through the Avast  Web Shield Component, it is blocked whatever the browser. Indeed it is not the Add On that blocks. The main enhancement of the browser addon is only to transport the URL information to be blocked to the program mainframe (Web SHield). To do so, they only have to add the feature to the already existing addons (WebRep addon) on the most popular browser like Chrome, Firefox and IE among others.