Author Topic: Privacy of "excluded" files?  (Read 857 times)

Offline mstern2

Privacy of "excluded" files?
« on: October 17, 2017, 10:54:23 PM »
The Avast Free privacy policy says that files or metadata suspected of containing malware may be sent back to Avast! for examination.  If confidential files are located in a folder that is set to be EXCLUDED from scanning (for example a folder shared with an Enterprise network that has its own security system) is it safe to assume those files will NOT be sent to Avast!?

An authoritative answer would be nice  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Privacy of "excluded" files?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 12:32:08 AM »
As and Avast User (not employee), I can't give you an authoritative answer.  I believe they are talking about individual files either in the virus chest or when being scanned, but I can't see it doing anything else in the same folder unless they too are suspected of containing malware.

If as you say, that you had excluded a file/folder in the File System Shield settings then they shouldn't be being scanned to consider they are suspected of containing malware ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security