Author Topic: Forgot Masterpassword  (Read 3710 times)

Offline Mitchell31

Forgot Masterpassword
« on: October 18, 2017, 01:31:23 PM »
Hello
I was not using the masterpass word on my home pc and when I pushed the lock in the top right corner it locked it up.
I have no idea what my master password is. I was using sync over two devices. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the password component but its still locked.
I understand that the reset of the master password has to be done on Avast's end when sync is in use. Is this correct and if so how do we actually talk to a human to get this done asap.
Thanks.

Offline Mitchell31

Re: Forgot Masterpassword
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 01:58:46 PM »
Update:
My Laptop is still ok and I have access to my passwords there. I've exported a cvs file from that pc.
Its my desktop that is locked andI have no idea what the password is.

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 06:46:54 AM »
Hello,
I have just checked our records and can only see one device in your synchronization group. According to device description the device name is Revolation. Is is your laptop? I have found quite odd record in your synchronization group audit log saying you have removed a device from synchronization today.
If you still have access to passwords on device with name Revolation the you can follow this:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=209589.msg1425761#msg1425761
If not please let me know as instructions will differ slightly.

Offline Mitchell31

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »
Ok so I ran the process you linked on both my machines. The laptop was working fine but I shut off the sync yesterday in hopes it would allow the desktop to connect.
I'm not worried about the data as I exported the passwords to a cvs. There was not that many and it could use a clean up anyhow.
The issue now is that both machines are requiring authorization from the other machine in order to sync. I'm not getting any prompt to authorize on either machine.
So at this point, I have access to passwords on both machines and have reset my masterpassword(I will not forget this one)
I cannot sync due to needed authorization from the other computer which does not prompt me to do so. This is happening on both computers.
Thanks for your help.

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 07:58:01 AM »
Well you should do it on faulty machine only. Anyway now you can use self-authorization process.
https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/Restore-Passwords-data-backup
If you don't succeed as you can't find the email or you can't remember the master password you have had when you first time turned on sunchronization, then let me know. Only way how to fix this is reset your synchronization group on our end.

Offline Mitchell31

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 11:30:45 AM »
I tried to the find the email you referred to but no luck. I am fine to go ahead and reset from your end.

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 08:04:02 AM »
Sorry for delay I've got sick. To smooth reset it is required you will turn off synchronization on all devices you have it turned on first. You will need to do it anyway after reset. Please let me know once you turn it off via direct email to kvetko@avast.com and I will perform the reset. Note that I need you to send me direct email from email address of an account you are requesting reset for so I can verify you have control over the email.
Let me know know if you have any further questions related to process of the reset.