Author Topic: Avast cleanup have destroyed my debug register  (Read 18664 times)

REDACTED

Avast cleanup have destroyed my debug register
« on: October 19, 2017, 12:19:42 AM »
In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options

at nearly every entry the debug value is changed in

C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast Cleanup\autoreactivator.exe"

It is a lot of work to find out and erase the keys

Thank Avast !

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
Re: Avast cleanup have destroyed my debug register
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 12:39:56 PM »
Hi,

we are deeply sorry about the damage we made and we would like to fix it.
Could you please specify what kind of information you had before in the Debugger registry keys? Was it something from another software or you had your own debugger setup there?

Also if you could provide us with the log files so we can investigate the root cause of your problem it would be appreciated!
They are located here: c:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Tuneup\log\ and you can either upload them somewhere on your favourite cloud or you could use our FTP server ftp.avast.com/ftp/incoming/ and log in as anonymous user.

Thank you!

Offline gsoc

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 03:12:23 AM »
Incredible. Same thing here on Windows 10 Home. This is not with Cleanup, but with straight Avast in a rather minimal setup.

Unfortunately `c:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Tuneup\` doesn't exist...

This is a pretty serious problem and we need some attention on this right away.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 11:16:02 PM »
The same thing happened to me with Window 7 Pro. Adobe Reader DX and SnagIt both stopped working. Whenever I'd try to open them I'd get "Windows cannot find 'c:\.....\AcroRd32.exe' or Windows cannot find 'c:\.....\snagit.exe'. I thought I had a virus and ran both Avast and Malwarebytes, both of which showed no infection. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling both programs. Nothing helped. Until, today, when I googled "Windows cannot find Acrobat reader" and found the answer on the Adobe forums: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2262502

"AdorobatCorrect Answer
by Adorobat on Jan 13, 2017 5:48 AM
Could you please try the following steps:

1- Close Reader

2- Hold down Windows key and press R on your keyboard, this will bring up Run dialogue box.

3- Type regedit in the run dialogue box and hit Enter, click Yes when User Account Control pop-up appears.

4- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options, delete the key AcroRd32.exe

5- Relaunch Reader"

As Alan.Cart discovered, the debug values for both had been set to C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast Cleanup\autoreactivator.exe

I followed the procedure for both Acrobat Reader and Snagit and now both are running perfectly. I also checked to make sure those were the only keys affected.

I uninstalled Avast Cleanup after the first time I ran it because I noticed that it deleted or deactivated quite a few things. Fortunately, I had created a System restore point before running it and was able to repair most of the damage that Cleanup had created. Except, apparently the debug value problems.

Offline gsoc

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 04:25:37 PM »
Incredible. This happened again with another Windows 10 machine. Had a purchased version of AVAST on it - deleted AVAST and yanked out all the keys under "Image File Execution Options".

Insanity!!!!

Offline silvblueice

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 09:22:09 PM »
Reviving an old thread, it looks like this is an ongoing problem!  Today, I spent 6 hours trying to find out why none of my programs worked.  I couldn't open any microsoft office files.  I couldn't open Adobe.  I couldn't open programs I needed for work.  It was your debugger.  It has invaded all the programs I use, and now I have to search it out and delete from all my files.

I thought this was a problem with the microsoft 10 update, but nope.  It was an issue with my trusted antivirus software, acting much like a virus!!!

I am SUPER PISSED, AND I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!! KEEP YOUR SOFTWARE.   >:(

Offline Diego SV

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 10:11:55 PM »
SAME HAPPEN TO ME TODAY! I spent all morning, even until now tring to fix all debugs. Thanks to a youtube video i was able to find the problem, and fix some of them.... but before that I unistall and even started messing with some windows files, believing it was the new update that got installed yesterday. Avast Clean up ruined all my programs! And yesterday they were working fine!

This cant be happening directly from our antivirus (that we actually paid and trust). It's unacceptable!

You have to fix this!

Offline Christopher Taylor

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 10:34:31 PM »
This also happened to me today. I just wanted to chime in as well to let the developers know that those posting here must be only the tip of the iceberg. It took me hours to find this thread -- I was eventually directed here from a malwarebytes board. I have used Avast products for many years and have never had a problem before today.

I can't get that time of my life back, but please Avast, ensure that this problem does not ever occur again. Thank you.

Offline Diego SV

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 10:49:41 PM »
For anyone who wants a quick solution for this, since i just talked to avast support and they didn't provide any: Follow the indications of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWrGshSN_u8

It helped me to rewrite some of the debbuger registry that was messed up by Avast. That way i was able to get my programs working again and get some of my work time back.

Hope it helps until they provide a fix.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 10:52:09 PM by Diego359 »

Offline papinianos

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 04:07:30 AM »
UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

It happened to me also right now. The thread is from 20117 and now we have 2020 and still is happening !
I almost had a heart attack.

CONGRATULATIONS AVAST  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 08:49:31 AM »
Hi,

We really apologize for your inconveniences.
This is definitely not the intended behavior and it seems that the update to the latest version somehow broke this functionality.
We are already working on fix which will be delivered ASAP, in the meantime there is a way how to fix it on your own using a Windows Registry Editor.

If you check my post here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=233129.msg1541192#msg1541192 you should have a better idea how to fix it.
Once you delete all the debugger registries you have to also go to the Cleanup UI, navigate to the Background & startup programs and manually wake all the affected programs to make sure that their services, background processes and scheduled tasks are properly started again.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 01:41:29 PM by Stellarman »

Offline Anceriz

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 03:56:11 PM »
WTF is avast doing. You have destroyed my registry on 3 windows machines with all my registries being infected with "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG TuneUp\autoreactivator.exe" under debugger for all programs installed.

How is this software at this point any different than a virus?

I expect Avast to take accountability and offer a fix, update this software so it doesn't happen again after we fix and try to reinstall our softwares, unless they are lost to us, and offer all clients at least 6 months free on their purchase of what use to be a reputable software to make amends.

Completely unacceptable...

Also, These forum captchas are unreadable....

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2020, 04:36:59 PM »
Hello everyone,

Again we really apologize for this situation, it was caused by a bug in the update we've released yesterday.

We already have a fix which we are verifying right now and we will release it as an update later today.
The update will fix everything so you should be again able to use the programs you previously put to sleep without any limitations.

Please bear with us, we are trying to get it fixed as soon as possible and won't stop until this whole situation will be resolved.

Thank you for understanding.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2020, 11:46:26 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am sorry that it took so long but the fixed version is finally here!

If you don't want to wait for the automatic update, please download the installation package here: https://honzik.avcdn.net/setup/avast-tu/release/avast_cleanup_online_setup.exe and reinstall the product manually to get the latest available version including the fix.

We've tested all the affected scenarios and everything shall get back to the original state after the update/reinstall to the latest version.

We sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences.
Please let us know how it works for you.

Best regards,
Avast team.