Author Topic: future for existing free users  (Read 5739 times)

REDACTED

future for existing free users
« on: August 02, 2017, 08:18:30 PM »
Does anyone know if/when the party ends for existing free users?

Also will there be an option to pay for the Basic version once the free ride is over?  I have absolutely zero interest in any of the Premium version features... Basic does 100% of what I want.

Offline Manley

Re: future for existing free users
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 07:33:24 PM »
As you can tell by the replies, there is no future...sorry to say.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 06:30:11 PM »
I interpret the silence more along the lines of "nothing's been decided yet, so nobody knows". 

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 10:25:17 PM »
Maybe you can find your answer here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=197166.0

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 08:32:24 PM »
that discussion doesn't reveal much other than what we know - the free version is gone for new users, also gone for education users, but otherwise avast isn't saying anything.

I'll just keep using the free version until something changes I guess... hopefully since I visit the cloud control panel for one or another of my sites at least once a week, and receive email notifications for several sites routinely, then I won't miss some announcement (if avast bothers to give one) saying I have to start paying or lose functionality.

Offline Remedy

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 11:00:42 AM »
I have at least 1 PC thats now saying the license is expired despite a reinstall and checking everything, so i'm wondering if the free AV is now being wound down this week.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 11:41:06 PM »
No changes that I am aware of.

I am sure that at some point the free period will end, but there would be a basic version you can purchase at that time.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay