Author Topic: repeated infection blocked popups for TuneUpMyMac  (Read 6760 times)

jgelfond@me.com

repeated infection blocked popups for TuneUpMyMac
« on: October 20, 2017, 03:48:34 AM »
I am getting repeated "Infection Blocked" popups every few minutes for MacOS:TuneUpMyMac-J [PUP] (attached).  How can I ensure my Mac is protected and get these messages gone for good? MacOS 10.13. (FYI I have not seen any strange behavior; I tried a Malwarebytes scan and it came back clean).

kim.upright@gmail.com

Re: repeated infection blocked popups for TuneUpMyMac
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 04:55:26 AM »
Just started seeing this exact same thing. I searched everywhere on my computer for apps and associated files etc and found nothing. Malwarebytes also came up clean for me.

Offline Vladimirz

• Avast team
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 11:08:11 AM »
Hi, please can you attached detected items here? Is Tuneup PhotosDuplicateCleaner installed on your Mac? Thanks.

dnnslm@gmail.com

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 02:18:13 PM »
Same here.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 05:22:15 PM »
MacOS:TuneUpMyMac-J [PUP] = Possible Unwanted Program / not infection, usually crap programs

christophe.necaille@gmail.com

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 07:36:58 PM »
Same for me, Avast quarantines different files for the same reason.
Searched my mac and TuneUpMyMac not installed.

Can it be FALSE POSITIVEs ?

hauling-cars5599@gmx.com

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 09:35:37 AM »
Same issue when I try to open a password protected Pages document.  Plus, I cannot launch my Pages application.  It quits responding after a period of time and I have to force quit.   

The file path in the Avast pop-up window is System->Library->PrivateFrameworks->CommerceKit.framework->Versions->A->Resources->storeassetd, which is an executable file.  It is a protected Mac file and cannot be removed.

Hopefully, Avast tech support is monitoring this forum, because it looks like there is a problem that has to be fixed.

danhamil@gmail.com

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 02:51:53 PM »
Exact same error messages/popups and started yesterday. Maybe a bad virus update file?

-dan

casparwahlvombruch@gmail.com

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 06:40:33 PM »
it popped up during updating software. (Installer started opening 3 .DMG-files) I got 3 blockation Infos

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CommerceKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/storeassetd
SoftwareMap
/private/var/folders/0y/kbll1c5j2wg8103kgxxf3vg80000gn/T/TemporaryItems/(storeassetd-Dokument sichern)/SoftwareMap
MacOS:TuneUpMyMac-K [PUP]

fcgoddard@gmail.com

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 08:55:32 PM »
I am also getting this same alert. This has all the indications of something that went wrong with the most recent version of Avast for Mac or the virus update. I have never had TuneUpMyMac.

Looking at the processing pass, it has something to do with a false detection in the Assistant Services. I am not sure exactly what it is for, but it seems to be a backend process.

In any case, I think that Avast has to find a fix for this and put out another update. In the meantime, the warning will probably still pop up unless you kill the assistant_service, but I don't know what the consequences of that would be.

jckern@yahoo.com

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 09:29:11 PM »
I noticed that on the AVG antivirus software forum page online that other users are reporting a similar issue.  So not sure this is wholly an Avast software issue.

Also, can Avast choose something better for its verification images?  These are very difficult to decipher.  Even for us non-robots.

whogastim@hotmail.com

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 10:05:43 PM »
I am also getting the error.

File:
/private/var/folders/34/49nz9v_14db4xjt3s2xsmfnm0000gn/T/TemporaryItems/(A Document Being Saved By storeassetd)/SoftwareMap

bgauweiler@gmail.com

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2017, 11:22:33 PM »
Same problem here seems like it just started yesterday...

steve@parva.co.uk

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 12:36:17 AM »
I have had this problem for a few days now. Did a complete system scan and removed all found items. Back again within an hour. I do not have and have never had TuneUpMyMac.

ncharlebois@gmail.com

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 11:43:02 AM »
Having the same thing happen to my system starting a few days ago. I've been deleting and scanning and using terminal commands to wipe out the files as well as letting avast do its thing as little good as it seems to have been doing on its own. Every time it seems like its gone, it comes right back. I finally started canceling the system process storeassetd and researching that thread...it seemed to have to do with the app store update...so on a whim I opened the app store and tried checking for an update...I immediately got hit with three popups from avast notifying me it had blocked the TuneUpMyMac in the same file location as its always been (/private/var/folders/pg/2q44l6613m3600s0jnx78h8h0000gn/T/TemporaryItems/(A Document Being Saved By storeassetd)/SoftwareMap). I either have a very infected system that mackeeper/tuneupmymac crap gotten onto and is trying to install more crap or...its all a false positive and will get sorted out soon. In the meantime I have not actually seen any ill effects except the notifications and quarantines so I think can wait and see what the word is.