Author Topic: why excluded urls are scanned by avast? what i am missing?  (Read 2121 times)

Offline jraju

• Poster
why excluded urls are scanned by avast? what i am missing?
« on: October 22, 2017, 02:42:40 PM »
I have excluded some urls, which avast denotes as dns hijacked domains in smart scan, and rescanning it shows the same result. I mean, the exclusion did not work. Is something missing. I went to settings , general and then tab exclusions, tab url and include those sites, with https://www.vk.com and https://www.yandex.ru ,https://vk.com and the other in the excluded. I saved and closed the avast.
I rescan the same with smart scan and it gives the same result. those coms are , according to me, are false positive, there is no way to say,it otherwise, and so i included in the exclusion list. But giving the same  result shows it is not working in my case and or I miss something in the settings. May some come with the help

Offline HonzaZ

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: why excluded urls are scanned by avast? what i am missing?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 11:08:25 AM »
DNS hijack is a "pair detection" - it needs both the URL (ie. vk.com) and the IP of the URL (ie. 95.213.11.181). It doesn't make sense to make exceptions on only one of the two.
What is the IP that vk.com resolves to on your device?

Offline jraju

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 05:20:53 AM »
How to find that , when i ping, i get all loss of packet with connection timed out messages. Tell me the procedure to how to accomplish. I only followed the steps in avast blog

Offline HonzaZ

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 06:34:24 AM »
Could you try it with Avast shields disabled? Please try all URLs that Avast was complaining about previously.

Offline jraju

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 07:25:58 AM »
Hi, i could not access those sites. Probably i would have done settings at one of the devices connected. Could you say, how to verify if it is false positive

Offline HonzaZ

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 07:32:50 AM »
Probably i would have done settings at one of the devices connected.
What do you mean by that?

Also, you are saying that even with Avast disabled, vk.com does not resolve to an IP when you try to ping it?

Offline jraju

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 08:15:40 AM »
Yes. to the seco;nd query
I did include exceptions to those websites, in the wifi connected laptop to test, whether i am not getting the alert. But still i got the alert. I have not removed those in laptop.
              Does dns hijacked domain suggest that the dns server we are using is hijacking ....those domains. Why

Offline HonzaZ

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 08:51:38 AM »
Does dns hijacked domain suggest that the dns server we are using is hijacking ....those domains. Why
Every domain needs an IP that is resolves to. Usually, in case of bigger websites (such as vk.com) there are even multiple IPs that the domain could resolve to. DNS hijack means that this IP (that the domain resolves to) is not owned by the domain owner.
This could be caused by many reasons - your ISP might redirect you, your device (either end-device, such as laptop, PC, mobile; or router) might be infected, your DNS server might be infected, etc.