Author Topic: Installed avast free & went with cleaning  (Read 1686 times)

REDACTED

Installed avast free & went with cleaning
« on: October 23, 2017, 03:22:02 PM »
I installed avast free service and did a booth time scan all went great.. THEN I went to performance and did the 30 day free cleaning well that went off ok I guess until it restated my pc. Now it goes to a repair screen and says can not repair.. I see it states a root file was the problem in restart.. what do I dO to fix ???? PLEASE HELP
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 07:26:57 PM by pete74 »

REDACTED

Re: Installed avast free & went with cleaning
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 07:33:31 PM »
Over 30 people looked at this post and not one can help ?? AVAST your problem removed a root start up file it states and now my pc doesnt work.. It also goes to start up repair and can not fix it.. NOW WHAT ????

REDACTED

Re: Installed avast free & went with cleaning
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 08:24:47 PM »
I don't work here but...

If I had such a problem I'd do this:
~type "system restore" into the start ball search box.
~system restore opens (it will let you change the computer back to how it was before the problem was created)
~pick a date that was before the problem you have
~before you tell it to start, let it tell you what programs this will affect
(you may see that you'll have to re-do an update or two afterwards, or you'll lose a program you just installed... but it promises to leave your files intact.
(I have found it does leave your files alone, however it views shortcuts as "programs" so any new shortcuts you made recently will vanish and need to be remade after)
~now run system restore. It will take about ten minutes and includes a restart which it will do itself, after which a pop up will tell you it "completed succesfully".
~If it says it did not complete succesfully, check that because it may have and you can ignore the message

AS FOR THE "cleaning" you let Avast do, I never let it do those because it will delete all broken shortcuts, and I rely on shortcuts, they need to stay as is even if broken (so I know what to fix later). ANYWAY, yea the cleaning I avoid.

But the anti-virus itself seems to work well. And for free, well, no complaints. It's ok to have to learn a couple things about its ins and outs. And there is this forum, so ..