Author Topic: Lacking details in the scan result  (Read 1236 times)

REDACTED

Lacking details in the scan result
« on: October 27, 2017, 12:30:12 PM »
I just completed a full scan of my system and Avast now tells me one issue was found.

However I have no clue what issue was found and what exactly will be performed by Avast if I click the suggested RESOLVE ALL button?!

Would have been quite nice with a bit more info added to this screen since I like to know what is done to my system be it by Avast or any other software.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:35:28 PM by WebMaximus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Lacking details in the scan result
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 02:45:19 PM »
Try clicking the Bell icon top right of the avastUI main screen.

Or

Check the C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report\Viruses & Malware.txt (relates to the virus scan part of the Smart Scan) report file.

Have you checked the Virus Chest to see if anything was sent there (would also depend on what the alert actually was) ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 02:50:41 PM »
Was able to find some more details by checking the scan history but IMO when you have this kind of message there should be an easy way both to see what was found in what file(s) and what the proposed action will be. You shouldn't have to go hunting logs manually to find this information.

Thanks though for your interest in my reported concern.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 05:15:40 PM »
Previous versions opened the Scan Details if there was a detection (or file/s that couldn't be scanned).  Why this isn't happening is beyond me.

Even more so as there didn't appear to be any notifications (a figure, 1, etc.) flagging. I would also have expected the tray icon to get flagged (Blue blob, if not serious) or ! exclamation mark (if more serious),  since you didn't mention that, I can only presume you didn't have that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 05:33:08 PM »
Yep, remember how the scan result window would open in the past after a scan was completed.

As for the tray icon I didn't pay any attention to it so I wouldn't know. I guess I look more on that one while not having the main application running on my screen. The tray icon doesn't seem too important in those situations but rather when you don't have the main Avast program window on your screen to notify you of any issues.

Well, not a big deal.

Have a great weekend!

P.S Happy to mention the found so called virus was nothing but a false PuP alarm. D.S

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 09:26:12 PM »
I'm not impressed when Avast make changes that were of benefit to users for no apparent reason, e.g. no alternative or easily accessible information; bug or intended change always comes to mind when I experience things like this.

Scan for PUPs is normally off by default in on-demand scans, did you change that ?

Though it is on for some on-access scans, the Web Shield is on by default I believe (I can't recall having changed it).

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 12:37:00 AM »
Maybe I enabled scan for PuP myself without remembering it.

Will check it out but on the other hand I already added the file that incorrectly was recognized today as a PuP to the exclusion list for future scans so maybe I'll just leave it for now.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 01:22:28 AM »
No Problem.

If you are happy about it, PUPs for many people they don't know what the program does that it might be considered a PUP.  That is one reason why avast has it disabled in most on-demand scans.  It is disabled on my Smart Scan, but I have had avast for so long it is hard to recall if that was a default setting.

If you know what a PUP is and what this one does and you installed it for that purpose the exclusion should be fine.