Author Topic: When will Seamonkey be supported by web shield?  (Read 11401 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: When will Seamonkey be supported by web shield?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 11:11:29 PM »
So you think we introduced the list just for fun (remember than the first version of avast 4.6 (that introduced WebShield) used what you call "powermode" by default).

Trust me, there're many apps out there that do some stuff on port 80, but it's not HTTP at all, or is a bit "tweaked" version of HTTP. :)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 11:35:21 PM »
So you think we introduced the list just for fun (remember than the first version of avast 4.6 (that introduced WebShield) used what you call "powermode" by default).

Trust me, there're many apps out there that do some stuff on port 80, but it's not HTTP at all, or is a bit "tweaked" version of HTTP. :)
No not for fun or even for scanning everything, you have the list of approved applications in the VPS can that not be extracted so a user can see what browsers, etc. are supported.

If informed on the options (and consequences) of what to do if their browser isn't supported, they chose to either use a supported browser (which they won't know without a list), edit avast4.ini for the OptInProcess, manually setup the proxy to use the web shield proxy.

Or they could use the AEC 'PowerMode' ;D which would have potentially greater consequences as they wouldn't know what they had selected to be able to use the web shield proxy, rather than the singular modifications mentioned above.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

por100pre1

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 02:14:58 AM »
This has been a surprise to me, because I believed WebShield was able to catch every port 80 communication. I have configured every browser I use in my computer to use WebShield proxy; Firefox, Opera, SeaMonkey, Flock and K-Meleon. Now I know this is the only way to be sure WebShield is woking with all my web browsers. Is there a topic on how to configure some less common browsers?

por100pre1

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 02:26:36 AM »

Ok i just checked and Flock "Flock.exe" http://flock.com/
not covered too

In case any Flock user read this, no need to worry.

The tutorial on how to configure Firefox works exactly the same with Flock:

http://www.avast.com/files/tutorials/ws_ffproxy.htm
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 02:28:37 AM by por100pre1 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 04:10:02 AM »
I agree that it should be pre-set to scan only a carefully selected list of applications.
However, how is the user to know if his application/browser is included in this list. I see nowhere that lists these carefully selected applications, so the user is effectively in the dark unless and until they twig that the web shield isn't scanning http content.
There is no mention here of any selection and as such lulling the user into a false sense of security.
Fully agree... There should be a list of scanned applications in the help files.  :P
The best things in life are free.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 11:30:43 AM »
There are many solutions out there that use local proxy on HTTP to provide some service (e.g. compress the stream or remove banners etc.) At first we considered that would be enough for webshield too. Just configure your browser (Internet Explorer or Flock if you like) to use localhost:12080 as your HTTP proxy and have the content scanned. I believe this is also documented in our FAQ.

Obviously the level of computer knowledge varies among our users, hence the redirect mode for the most common apps was introduced.
I also vote for more control which apps should be redirected and which not, perhaps on some Advanced page in the WebShield config.

The ASK dialog seemed like a good idea at first, but now I must wonder what would my mother say if should would be asked to include Skype among redirected application in avast! WebShield ... would she answer yes or no? Well I guess I would have a phonecall.

What would your mother answer, RejZoR? And grandma?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 01:34:27 PM »
I also vote for more control which apps should be redirected and which not, perhaps on some Advanced page in the WebShield config.
Why don't you start to publish a list of the supported applications?

The ASK dialog seemed like a good idea at first, but now I must wonder what would my mother say if should would be asked to include Skype among redirected application in avast! WebShield ... would she answer yes or no? Well I guess I would have a phonecall.
Sure it will... But, are there so many 'trouble' applications like Vlk said? Isn't it easier a list of 'excluded' applications instead of a long list of 'ask' dialog?
The best things in life are free.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 02:31:31 PM »
Neither of them is using a computer so that wouldn't change anything :P
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2006, 04:20:30 PM »
well what about dialog / option menu which shows actually (atm) monitored application by webshield that way user can easily detect/check if application is missing , yet that still need that "add" menu ...

u know this is wide problem

- nub user will fail to set his applications to use proxy access on localhost:12080
 - nub user will click "yes" when "ask" dialog appear for Skype, Wengo, MSN, Steam etc.

but there is "hope" for 'ask' dialog You must just add warning it's not ideal use it for e.g. VOIP etc application
and link e.g. to some FAQ page entry on Avast! site with list of "problematic" applications or so ...

btw.  yet i somehow fail to understood the Skype example, skype opens new IE instance or other default browser i never noticed Skype uses port 80 until configured manually to do so ...
better example should be MSN which trying use 80 if fail at other ports... but again MSN connection could bring You virus so You want it monitored anyway :))) so catch 22  ;D
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive