Author Topic: Charging us for ransomware protection is itself ransom  (Read 1289 times)

REDACTED

Charging us for ransomware protection is itself ransom
« on: October 28, 2017, 08:30:22 PM »
Re, the "ransomware shield", which is part of what you pay for when you buy Internet Security or higher versions of Avast...

I strongly urge Avast to reconsider charging money to protect us from ransomware, since this itself is charging a ransom.
I mean we have an anti-virus, and ransomware is just another in a long line of viruses. Don't you see this is unethical?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 08:59:49 PM by mailmeathought »

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Charging us for ransomware protection is itself ransom
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 10:02:58 PM »
The Behaviour Shield provides protection against ransomware. The ransomware shield is the last line of defence (in the paid versions), if the behavioural shield is bypassed.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 11:49:54 PM »
LOL, I was having the same thought myself... Withholding ransomware protection would've been a kind of ransoming itself (though more passive-aggressive than openly hostile).

I'm glad to learn that the free version of Avast, which you've so generously given us, includes basic ransomware protection. Thanks! So as long as we use common sense, and don't open unknown email attachments, or visit suspicious websites (outside of a sandboxed browser session), we should be okay, right? I'd hate to have to call in Harrison Ford... He's quite ready to retire now, whether he knows it or not.  :?)

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 11:50:55 PM »
And BTW, I've been using Avast for years now—I am not a "newbie"!   ::)  If you can change that, it'd be great.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 12:07:16 AM »
And BTW, I've been using Avast for years now—I am not a "newbie"!   ::)  If you can change that, it'd be great.

The newbie is a forum category until you have 20 posts. The forum software doesn't know how long people have been using avast.

The category changes to Jnr Member when you have 20 posts.
See https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=93015.msg740725#msg740725
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 05:21:56 AM »
I'm glad to learn that the free version of Avast, which you've so generously given us, includes basic ransomware protection. Thanks! So as long as we use common sense, and don't open unknown email attachments, or visit suspicious websites (outside of a sandboxed browser session), we should be okay, right?
Yep. :)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0