Author Topic: Avast on SBS 2003 - Exchange Server / Outlook Clients Scanning  (Read 4990 times)

marco.castagna

Hello

I'm posting this topic since i did not find enough information about the configuration of the different providers (and if such information exists -> thank you for pointing me into the right direction).

Problem: I have installed SBS 2003 Premium with avast! SBS Suite Premium. Users are complaining about slow remote Outlook sync with VPN access. Especially Outlook start-up (until you can see your inbox) takes 15 minutes!

So i just want to make sure the providers are setup correctly:
Server:
  • MS Proxy/ISA (Sensitivity Normal)
  • MS SMTP 2000/2003 (Sensitivity Normal)
  • Network Shield (Sensitivity Normal)
  • Script Blocking (Sensitivity Custom: No Splashcreen)
  • SharePoint 2003 (Sensitivity Normal)
  • Standard Shield (Sensitivity Normal)
  • Web Shield (Sensitivity Normal)
  • Other Providers are deactivated

Client:
  • Outlook/Exchange (Sensitivity Normal)
  • P2P Protection (Sensitivity Norma)
  • Script Blocking (Sensitivity Normal)
  • Instant Messaging (Senisitivity Normal)
  • Standard Shield (Sensitivity Normal)
  • Web Shield (Sensitivity Normal)
  • Other Providers are deactivated

Analysis: If i stop the Outlook/Exchange provider on the client remote Outlook sync via VPN runs smoother and faster. VPN connection runs via EDGE or UMTS at approx. 256 kbit/s.

Question: So isn't there a double check of E-Mails in this configuration (1st on the Exchange Server with MS SMTP 2000/2003 Provider and 2nd on the client with the Outlook/Exchange Provider)? Could I stop the Outlook/Exchange provider on the client or is this to high a risk? FYI: We are not dealing with encrypted E-Mail and have only setup an Exchange Server account in Outlook 2003.
Or can I finetune the provider settings in order to make sync faster?

Oh, I forgot to mention: All clients on the local network have avast configured same as above and everything is working fine! The problem appears just on a notebook which syncs Outlook remotely.

Thank you for your support!

Kind regards

Marco Castagna
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 10:34:15 AM by marco.castagna »

marco.castagna

Re: Avast on SBS 2003 - Exchange Server / Outlook Clients Scanning
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 08:34:15 PM »
I would really appreciate if anyone could help me with this issue - it's still not resolved.

Thank you!

av-outsource

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 12:56:29 PM »
I would really appreciate if anyone could help me with this issue - it's still not resolved.

Thank you!

Marco,

I know of a problem were both clients and server try scanning network drives at the same time which can make network access slow. You can fix this by putting \\* in the exclusions on standard shield. This turns of remove network drive scanning locally.

Hope this helps.

Av-outsource.net

marco.castagna

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 04:40:33 PM »
Hi James

Thank you for your message - I will go and further investigate the problem with your input.

Marco