Author Topic: Completely crazy master password  (Read 3583 times)

REDACTED

Completely crazy master password
« on: September 16, 2017, 09:25:46 PM »
I've been trying to solve this all the day. From 7.30 am to just now 21.30. I'm a software engineer and still don't know what the heck is going on with this software.

Which is uninstallable
Which is has no error UX of any kind

I had a master password which eventually became lost
I want to reset the vault

Story #1
Following the Avast guidelines I remove the vault with the "Forgot master password" thing.
Avast ignores me and everything stays the same

Story #2
I found that if I remove the Password component and reinstall it then the vault seems removed.
Keeps spinning forever in loading screen

Story #3
Same as #2 but then close Avast. Repair from "Control Panel/Programs". Reboot.
And Avast ignores everything

Story #5
Reinstall Avast
Nope

Story #6
Stop Avast service. Disable Avast startup daemon.
Force clean uninstall with official Avast wizard on Windows Safe Mode.
Clean install Avast from scratch.
Hahahaha... fool of me

Story #7
After aaaaaaall the morning I found out the vault location. Which is under 9000 thousands protections. The final workaround was:
Reboot on safe mode. Remove ProgramData/Avast Software (which contains the vault). Reboot to normal. Reinstall Avast. Go to story #3
Aha! Works. I set my new master password.

Story #8
I then want to sync with my other devices... HAHAHAHAH! Poor fool I was. Login failed for sync. By the way, notice I was already logged, you know, because Avast suite.

Story #9
Repair. Reboot.
Sync login works. Wonderful.
Then Avast asks again for master password... AND FAIL!
What the hell?!
Either Avast forget my master password (which was abc12345678 so I knew I couldn't miss it while trying to set up)
Or... Avast ignores me again and somehow recovery (from I DON'T KNOW MAYBE THE COSMOS) the old vault

Story #10
I'm on the starting point.
Don't know the master password (insert shrug here)

This is not serious.

How am I suppose to get a new vault?
With macos is basically remove .dmg and reinstall
Same with Android

Do I need a unicorn's horn in order to get a new one for Windows?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 09:28:34 PM by sospedra.r »

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
Re: Completely crazy master password
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 10:50:50 PM »
If you have not synchronization enabled and you vault is locked you can delete it in settings->passwords section - forgot password option on top
If you have synchronization enabled then as you know vault location easiest way to remove it is:
In settings-> troubleshooting disable self-defense option
Stop avast service
Delete vault files from file system
Start avast service
In UI go to dashboard and then back to passwords - you should be able set new vault

Note that each of these procedures may lead to data loss!
If you think you know master password and you possibly miss typed it when you set it up then most likely you have had CAPS lock or different keyboard layout set at that time. It is not very probable that you have made same typo two times in the row.
As vault contains very sensitive data we have decided to not remove files on uninstall or reinstall - same way browsers keeps its profiles on your computer for instance. We may consider remove option is setup as optional step, but for now neither repair nor reinstall will not remove the vault from the system, the issue is that it will remove everything else, including link between avast installation instance and vault location so reinstall or repair can make the situation even worse ;-)

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 11:10:56 PM »
I have reset my password through web... but all m action in the application is barre...as it says wrong password... how to solve it... plz help... i cannot uninstall it too..

Regards,
Samik

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 07:44:06 AM »
If you are talking about Master Password of Avast Passwords, then it can't be reset without knowing it and it only can be done locally so there is no need to go to the web. If you forgot master password and you want to start from scratch again you can (in case you haven't synchonized yet) go to Avast->Settings->Passwords
Request for master password pops
Just close it and click Forgot master password link on top
This will pop confirmation dialog and you can reset your whole passwords storage
Note that you will loose all data you have stored in avast passwords
Also note that we are not limiting number of unlock tries so if you have at least some idea what might be the master password you may try "brute force" it
If you have had synchronization enabled than the procedure is more complicated, let me know if it is your case and I will describe how to reset (remove) such storage in such case.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 01:17:18 PM »
It's been 3 days that I am trying to get into my Avast Passwords. I forgot my master password and even I closed the option for frequently asking master password but I don't know where in the world it suddenly locked my passwords.

this is not the end of the world yet, I ain't seeing any forget my Master Password option. I tried everything available on the internet to get it back. I reinstalled it 10 times. I logged in through safe mode to delete file name "aswResp". I logged in through Gmail. I tried to communicate with Support through Chat. I tried everything but failed!

I'm hopeless and hating myself for installing this software!!!

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 08:39:50 AM »
If you can't see Forgot master password option on Passwords Settings panel (it is shown on very top left part of the settings panel) then it means you have had synchronization enabled. To remove your locked storage you need to follow steps I have described in this thread https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=209589.msg1425761#msg1425761

Then you can start again from scratch. As you most likely have had synchonization enabled, then there is good chance you will not loose the data as you can recover from backup. To do so, please follow this guide:
https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/Restore-Passwords-data-backup