Author Topic: Android Chrome Cloudfront.net pop ups can't stop :(  (Read 5479 times)

REDACTED

Android Chrome Cloudfront.net pop ups can't stop :(
« on: November 03, 2017, 11:26:23 AM »
Hi, I installed Avast Mobile Security on my Galaxy S8 mainly to try stop annoying pop up adds in Chrome. Screenshots attached.

One of the main ones that takes over Chrome is Cloudfront.net

I've paid for the pro version of this app, yet this still now just popped up! Why is this so hard to stop? I have tried several other Malwear apps that have also not worked.

Couple years ago I had a HTC One M8 & that had the same problem, even after a hard reset, I still got the same pop ups taking over Chrome randomly on different websites.

It seems like some sort of extension that has installed it's self into Chrome that makes the adds continuously pop up randomly regularly. & Even after a hard reset, it's still in Chrome.

I've checked all the installed apps on the phone & I can't find anything that's doing.

PLEASE HELP!??

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Android Chrome Cloudfront.net pop ups can't stop :(
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 04:44:00 PM »
Hi, doesn't it happen within a particular wi-fi network? The problem might be in the network (not your mobile device).

Offline Raeken

• Deutsch living in France
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 05:10:20 PM »
Take a look on your router DNS configuration. It may be using a "custom configuration" with different DNS numbers.
If it's possible, try to access the same websites using another equipaments while connected to the same WiFi connection.
Windows 11 Pro - Version 21H2 - 64 Bits | Avast SecureLine VPN - Standalone

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 01:53:12 AM »
Nope, I'm not using wifi, it does it regularly on random sites.

Hi, doesn't it happen within a particular wi-fi network? The problem might be in the network (not your mobile device).

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 01:55:40 PM »
Well, one of the options is that the servers you visit are "infected" - does it happen when visiting certain websites?

That can hardly be blocked - these are web ads hidden "inside" normal advertising networks.

For more information you can read this (slightly older) article: https://www.androidauthority.com/mobile-scareware-ads-338182/

I have given your e-mail address to a colleague of mine, who can try to help you (as soon as he is back from holiday).

Good luck!

Offline Lowell Ashbaugh

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 10:24:20 PM »
I just started having the same issue, and it's cloudfront.net that does it. I haven't found out how to stop it yet. I'll post again if I learn anything new.