Author Topic: creating new password with avast password tool  (Read 2389 times)

REDACTED

creating new password with avast password tool
« on: November 03, 2017, 11:41:07 AM »
When I am logging into a site, even avast, and the avast pops up to save password, there is a link where I can click to have a "new strong password" created for me. I am going to use Amazon as my example because this is the site this actually  all happened with, my very first site to try out the avast password tool.
So I click this link and then I save the new bizarre password that is created but when I go into check that the password was actually created, I find it was not. I find this new strong password that I thought was created for me is no where to be found. there is only, (up to 3 or 4 older password links) that I can see. I open up each of these and check to see what the password is and sure enough, it is an older one. So I delete all of these and I briefly have no saved amazon password links, then all of the older 3 links appear again. But I still do not have the new created password through avast. Am I doing something wrong? I also had a difficult time figuring out how to start a new topic. I hope I started this new topic correctly. Thank you for your help.

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
Re: creating new password with avast password tool
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 12:48:27 PM »
Hello, by new strong password you probably mean Generate Strong password option in our browser extension popup (the one is show when you click on key icon in browser toolbar). This password is not being stored anywhere as it is just standalone password generator function. It gives you strong password whenever you need it., you can then copy it to clipboard and paste it to registration form for instance.
In some cases we provide password generator to the website, then it is shown in the website form as key icon with asterisk and in case you will use it there, we remember the last one you have generated and from that moment we are watching whether you have that stored and we offer this password on next login to the website if we don't find it stored in your passwords storage. In such case we show a dropdown under the login form with options to use it, discard it and let decision to later time.

The password generator function is extremely useful when you decide to change the password for the website, but note, that you still have to do it on the website itself, changing password just on side of password storage has no effect on you login credentials website provider consider as valid. In most of the cases we should be able catch such change and prompt you to update the login details you have stored with us. And in case you have used generator for password change form on the website itself we also provide the above mentioned fallback solution for the case we don't detect the password change operation on the web.

Let me know if you have any further question related to this topic. In case you have questions on different topic, please create separate thread for it.