Author Topic: Netscape 7.1 e-mail  (Read 4541 times)

sternlih

Netscape 7.1 e-mail
« on: December 26, 2003, 02:58:07 PM »
I read an article in "PCWORLD" that discussed AVAST and I decided to install it. I have completely uninstalled Norton AV. Avast works great except for the fact that if I enable e-mail protection for my netscape account, I can't get my mail. If I disable Avast, Netscape works just fine. I have followed Avast's wizard, but it still does not work.

If anyone has an detailed setup or circumventions for getting Avast to work with Netscape, I would appreciate the help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Netscape 7.1 e-mail
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2003, 03:36:49 PM »
Hmmm, avast should work with the following Internet Mail Clients: MS Outlook (including Outlook 2003), MS Exchange, MS Outlook Express, Eudora, Pegasus Mail, Netscape Mail, Mozilla Mail, IncrediMail and The Bat!

Did you try manual configuration of your account email settings?
The best things in life are free.

sternlih

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2003, 04:17:08 PM »
If I knew what the settings were, I could manually tweak my account, but all I know are the defaults.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2003, 07:15:53 PM »
I do not use Netscape and, if you do not know how to configure it, it will be hard to guide you by concepts and technical terms.

The only I can do is try to show you a way to configure your e-mail client (program) follow these steps:

1. Close all your email applications.
2. Start Windows Menu > avast! antivirus > Mail Protection Wizard
3. Click Next on the first screen
4. Choose 'Setup the protection manually'
5. Choose 'I don't use MS Outlook (nor MS Exchange client) or
    'I use other programs to work with e-mails as well'
    After the service was disabled, choose Next
    Select your e-mail accounts (or 'My accounts is not in the list...' to get help)
    Finish your configuration and the service will start again.

You can run the Mail Protection Wizard more than once and all the changes could be reversed. If this not help, you, try the help file Manual setting of mail protection. Launch your mail program and let the program display the account settings.

1. If you want to check outgoing messages, change the address of SMTP server to the address of the local computer, i.e. 127.0.0.1. The localhost or 127.0.0.1 is the way to scan your outbound mail.

2. If you want to check incoming messages, change the address of POP (IMAP) server to the address of the local computer, i.e. 127.0.0.1. The localhost or 127.0.0.1 is the way to scan your inbound mail.

3. Change user (login) name this way: append the character # (double hash) and the address of your POP (IMAP) server (the same as you specified in the avast4.ini file in Step one). Login name should then look like this:
yourname#pop3.server.com

4. If your e-mail program supports SMTP authentication and also makes it possible to set a different login name for SMTP than for POP

5. If the SMTP authentication is enabled, append the character # and the address of your SMTP server to the login name (e.g. yourname#smtp.server.com).

6. If the SMTP authentication is disabled, enable it and use the character # together with the address of your SMTP server as the login name (e.g. #smtp.server.com).

7. Save your changes.

If you cannot follow this, I can't do more for you, sorry!
The best things in life are free.

netscapeuser

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2003, 09:47:23 PM »
I had problems with email or webmail with netscape.
I had to use my pop account as the default mail (incoming and outgoing) after that it worked
it wont use netscape mail cause it changes the settings for the webmail