Author Topic: XP-Pro won't start after 4.7 update  (Read 3781 times)

ique10

XP-Pro won't start after 4.7 update
« on: May 09, 2006, 05:04:39 PM »
I have two desktops at home, both with updated Win XP-Pro. Lats week I updated the Avast AV on one of them and it stopped working. It keeps restarting at the last step of boot, right before the blue logon screen. Can't boot from XP cd or in safe mode either. Tested new memory and nothing.

Put HD as slave on the second PC and run checkdisk. Everything seems fine, can copy from and to it.

I did not suspect of Avast till this morning when I updated the second PC and the same thing started to happen. Now I'm stuck with two PCs that won't start and using a notebook as last resort.

Did anybody experienced this kind of problem? Is there a solution besides trying to rebuilt the system from scratch?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: XP-Pro won't start after 4.7 update
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 05:14:27 PM »
What is the version of avast, it should be 4.7.827

ique10

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 05:17:57 PM »
I'm not absolutely sure but it is certainly the last one available since the updating on the second PC was made about an hour ago. I did the update manually using the tray icon.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 05:26:18 PM »
An initial thought  go in on safe mode and uninstall Avast then reboot, if the problem persists then it is probably not Avast.  If it does then download and reinstall a fresh version Of Avast.  Then install 

ique10

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 05:39:01 PM »
Up to this point I was not able to start either one of the two PCs. I pressed the F8 keys and tried all the options available and it keeps restarting automatically at the end of boot. The XP cd won't start. Gives me a boot failure message.

The only way I can start is using a win 98 cd or floppy, but then I cannot access the HD since the file system is different.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 07:45:55 PM »
Gives me a boot failure message.
Can you post it here?
Can you try to boot at Safe Mode (pressing F8) and try Safe Mode with Network from there?
Did you update your Windows recently?
The best things in life are free.

ique10

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 10:15:58 PM »
tried that and nothing.

Managed to get boot from xp cd on both PCs and run recovery console. Chkdsk points to no problem.

The issue happening on two separate machines basically eliminates hardware problem. On the software side, it does not seem a coincidence that the problem started right on the first restart after updating avast.

I do not know where to go from here.

Thanks for any help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 04:19:07 AM »
Managed to get boot from xp cd on both PCs and run recovery console. Chkdsk points to no problem.
So the HDD is not the problem...

The issue happening on two separate machines basically eliminates hardware problem. On the software side, it does not seem a coincidence that the problem started right on the first restart after updating avast.
Is the computer restarting after it crashed or you can see the error message (blue screen of death)?
Is the computer shutting down or restarting?
Did you update your Windows recently?
The best things in life are free.