Author Topic: NEW Version 15.2  (Read 184707 times)

REDACTED

Re: NEW Version 13.3
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 01:26:13 PM »
Thanks.  I understand what you are saying however I have a concern.  The ransomware shield seems to act indescrimitately, in other words it blocks a process whatever app calls it genuine or rogue.  isn’t there a danger that your blocking the process for a genuine app could result in data loss or corruption of data?

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 01:42:07 PM »
Thanks.  I understand what you are saying however I have a concern.  The ransomware shield seems to act indescrimitately, in other words it blocks a process whatever app calls it genuine or rogue.  isn’t there a danger that your blocking the process for a genuine app could result in data loss or corruption of data?
Ransomware shield protects only select file types and these only in directories the user selects. While there are some theoretical scenarios where data could be lost and corrupted (eg. badly written app that needs to modify multiple files atomically and does not cope correctly with access errors), it is highly unlikely for the types of files we protect. What is possible (and expected) is that "legit" apps may fail to write protected files. While this may lead to a loss of data, it is never silent (the app is notified about forbidden access).
So when protecting files via Ransomware shield, verify, that your tools work correctly, and, if necessary, whitelist them. When all is working, you have yet another layer of protection on files you care about.

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2017, 01:27:31 PM »
Apologies - another question:

The default state of the webshield on installation has "Scan files while downloading" toggled off.  In this state, the application fails the majority of the AMSTO tests.  Surely this is not intentional?

REDACTED

Re: NEW Version 13.4
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2017, 10:30:37 PM »
Just double-checking: is this address to the changelog correct/legit?

http://mac-av.u.avcdn.net/mac-av/10_9/AAFM/changelog.html

Thanks!

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2017, 10:55:23 PM »
Apologies - another question:

The default state of the webshield on installation has "Scan files while downloading" toggled off.  In this state, the application fails the majority of the AMSTO tests.  Surely this is not intentional?
Which tests exactly? https://www.amtso.org/feature-settings-check-for-desktop-solutions/ are OK, except compressed malware and cloud protection.
Quality is also a feature.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2017, 10:56:24 PM »
Just double-checking: is this address to the changelog correct/legit?

http://mac-av.u.avcdn.net/mac-av/10_9/AAFM/changelog.html

Thanks!
that's the correct URL. We moved to new CDN URL with this release.

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 08:22:52 PM »
I noticed in the recent version that no longer can you "disable" blocking. You used to be able to still get notified of a threat but Avast would not take action on it. Now, the only option is just to disable the entire shield. Is there anyway to get this functionality back? Thank you!!

Offline jakub.bednar

• Avast team
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2018, 09:39:27 AM »
I noticed in the recent version that no longer can you "disable" blocking. You used to be able to still get notified of a threat but Avast would not take action on it. Now, the only option is just to disable the entire shield. Is there anyway to get this functionality back? Thank you!!
Hello chmitchell,

we have not removed any such functionality at least in the past year. I don't know what was before as I was not there. AFAIK you could only disable automatic chesting of infected files and that is still available in Preferences -> Shields -> File Shield -> Settings. It does not make much sense to me to have a shield running and not block threats. By the time you get the notification that a malware was detected, your Mac could already be compromised. This option would be IMO very dangerous. When you switch off the shield you get notified about it in the main UI and you know you are actually not protected. That is the correct behavior from my perspective.

Best regards,

Jakub

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2018, 09:43:02 AM »
Hello,
mail shield has "remove infected attachments" which serves similar purpose; fileshield has the "moved infected file to chest" option which is similar.
Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

REDACTED

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2018, 07:39:25 PM »
Is the behavior shield and realtime protection features included with the Free MAC version 13.4?

Thank You

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2018, 10:17:40 PM »
Is the behavior shield and realtime protection features included with the Free MAC version 13.4?

Thank You
Realtime protections aka shields are part of the Avast Security (FREE). However there is no behavioral shield on Mac - it's part of the Windows Avast AV.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: NEW Version 13.5
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2018, 04:16:48 PM »
Lukas,

Is there a link for the older 12.x product for those users on older MacOS releases?
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2018, 04:29:02 PM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2018, 11:45:22 AM »
Lukas,

Is there a link for the older 12.x product for those users on older MacOS releases?

All the links were updated to provide version 13.
For those who need to stay with 12.9 - http://public.avast.com/supp/old_versions/12_9/avast_security_online.dmg
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 02:38:58 PM by lukas.hasik »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2018, 12:06:40 PM »
Lukas,

All the links were updated to provide version 13.
For those who need to stay with 12.9 - https://public.avast.com/supp/old_versions/12_9/avast_security_online.dmg
Hi Lukas, your link doesn't work for me with HTTPS - it only works with HTTP.
-> http://public.avast.com/supp/old_versions/12_9/avast_security_online.dmg

Edit: And by the way, it's the same version I provided in Reply #27... ;)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 12:16:10 PM by Asyn »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0