Author Topic: Avast (free) won't let my external HDD spin down  (Read 920 times)

REDACTED

Avast (free) won't let my external HDD spin down
« on: November 09, 2017, 11:06:26 PM »
Hello all,

I have recently moved from Avira free to Avast free on one of my laptops. I have a custom installation with only 2 components enabled (File shield and behavior shield), everything else is 'not installed.'

The weird problem is Avast will NOT let my external HDD spin-down/ sleep. The external HDD constantly makes creeking noises and the activity indicator LED light keeps blinking. I have tried adding the whole volume to the exceptions lists everywhere in Avast, but the problem persists. I have tried checking the option to not scan removable media, still no luck.

The ONLY way to prevent this behavior is to select "TURN OFF ALL SHIELDS" from the system tray icon- the moment all shields are disabled, the activity indicator on the external HDD stops blinking and the drive goes to sleep after 5 minutes. But then, the moment I turn the shields on, the drive wakes up and the problem returns.

The HDD is otherwise fine (SeaTools gives it a 100% score, and my other computer which still has Avira free installed doesn't create this situation).

How do I resolve this? It'd be great if someone could help me out. Thanks.