Author Topic: Latest update doesn't respect my settings  (Read 1864 times)

REDACTED

Latest update doesn't respect my settings
« on: November 10, 2017, 05:50:36 AM »
This evening I was prompted to update to the latest version of Avast, 17.8.2328 (build 17.8.3705.0). After restarting I noticed it changed the Sensitivity setting I tweak in File Shield and Web Shield (I don't use Mail Shield). In both cases "Scan for PUPs" was unchecked. I always check this for extra protection. Also, the Automatically Apply action chosen for various scans, is no longer set.

In addition, it added Cleanup and Game Mode, which I specifically do not install, and which were not previously installed. I have had too many issues with Cleanup (and Browser Cleanup) and do not use my computer for games. When I went back to modify the installation, I noticed there were TWO Cleanup options listed (one above the other), in the last section along with Game Mode.

I suppose this is mostly an FYI post. But it is pretty annoying---and it's an issue that has occurred several times in the past with updates. I maintain many computers (easily 100+), and advise my clients to use Avast. Some use the Free version, but many update to the Internet Security---or even a higher level. I know what options were installed, in most cases, because I installed the program. But when revisiting, I often find their setting (including scheduled scans) have changed. In most cases I'm fairly certain they didn't change them. The most annoying of these changes, is when their search engine has been changed to Yahoo Avast (really?) and their weekly schedule scan has disappeared along with the automatic action on what to do when something is found.

So, there you have it. I appreciate a response. Thank you, in advance.

REDACTED

Re: Latest update doesn't respect my settings
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 05:52:06 AM »
I should mention (FYI) these issues occur on both the Free and paid versions.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 04:09:40 PM »
The update should honor existing settings but sometimes it doesn't which is usually a bug, however it should certainly not add components which were not previously installed.

I've updated three machines varying from Avast Free to Internet Security and the PUP detections were still enabled after the upgrade while no additional components were installed. I do see a scenario here though. Did you enable "Scan for PUPs" in General > Settings or was it done individually for each shield?

The Sensitivity setting changing to default is most likely a bug but I'd need more proof before I can escalate that. Majority of people use the default normal sensitivity so I'll need to wait for the next version to test that unless someone else hasn't updated and wants to test.

Regarding the search engine changing to Yahoo, that is the browser cleanup component. In order to remove "bad" add-ons, it changes the search engine. I'm personally against this but that won't change. Best advice is not to install the browser component module.

There was an issue with scheduled scans which has been fixed in the latest version 17.8.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 05:49:39 PM »
Thank you for your attention Alikhan.

I can tell you, I have the PUP settings checked for each individual shield. I also make sure my scans have that checked. I'm not sure what you mean by "Scan for PUPs in general", but everywhere that is an option, I check it.

I updated a friend's Avast, remotely, this morning. I can verify she also had two Cleanup options listed, and the new one (apparently) was checked, and only installed as of this last update. (Found in Programs and Features, Change, Modify) So there's at least some verification.

And perhaps I found another issue, though I cannot be sure. Once the new version was installed, I could not access the settings remotely. In fact, opening the Avast UI completely prevented me from controlling her computer. I had to send a Ctrl/Alt/Del to get to Task Manager, and kill the Avast UI in order to regain control. We restarted twice, and the same behavior continued.  I can verify I was able to use the Avast UI, and have it open and control her computer, before the update.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 06:44:15 PM »

I can tell you, I have the PUP settings checked for each individual shield. I also make sure my scans have that checked. I'm not sure what you mean by "Scan for PUPs in general", but everywhere that is an option, I check it.

In Avast UI > Settings > General, is scan for potentially unwanted programs checked?

That setting affects all the shields.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 01:28:11 AM »
Many thanks. I never noticed that setting.   :o

I've updated a few more computers today. They include Windows 10, 7 and even one XP and one Vista. No Windows 8/8.1 computers were addressed today.  Some issues consistent with what I've reported, some varying.

The consistent issues after this last update are: A duplicate Cleanup entry is added and installed on all computers. Game mode is installed on all computers.

They varied on the type, and number, of settings changed.  Some held all their settings. Others lost some, such as their Action settings in specific scans, scheduled scans, etc.

Browser cleanup (as well as the other two mentioned above) was added to one computer I just serviced late last week. I was there for a follow-up. While I was there, I updated Avast (so I got to look at the settings pre, and post update).

Anyway, don't know exactly what to make of this all, but just letting you know. I'm sure I will probably see a dozen, or more, computers in the next week, or two. So just let me know if you want continued reports.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 04:56:27 AM »
One final update. I'm guessing the powers that be at Avast are well aware of what issues are universal, and which are happening only on specific systems.  But I can say, after a couple more installations today. the second Cleanup module (with the exact same description as the one listed directly above it in the "Modify" option in Windows Programs and Features) is added, and installed on every computer I've worked on so far.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 05:33:50 AM »

I updated a friend's Avast, remotely, this morning. I can verify she also had two Cleanup options listed, and the new one (apparently) was checked, and only installed as of this last update. (Found in Programs and Features, Change, Modify) So there's at least some verification.

And perhaps I found another issue, though I cannot be sure. Once the new version was installed, I could not access the settings remotely. In fact, opening the Avast UI completely prevented me from controlling her computer. I had to send a Ctrl/Alt/Del to get to Task Manager, and kill the Avast UI in order to regain control. We restarted twice, and the same behavior continued.  I can verify I was able to use the Avast UI, and have it open and control her computer, before the update.

OK, I lied. One more update. This just happened to me, again, on another computer. Connected with Gotomypc. Updated Avast to the new version. When the Avast UI is open, I am completely unable to control the remote computer. I have to send a ctrl-alt-del, go the task manager, and kill the Avast UI application.  I even tried to uninstall the "new" duplicate Cleanup module, through Programs and Features. But once the Avast window opens, my connection is hosed again. Hopefully someone is actually reading these and paying some attention. It's really hard to know.