Author Topic: VPN does not keep my address hidden !  (Read 5452 times)

Offline marthig

VPN does not keep my address hidden !
« on: November 13, 2017, 10:40:47 AM »
Have just added a trial version of Avast VPN and tried to check it by trying to watch a Fox series on line, that I was always denied because of my country (Argentina)

I always use Chrome, my OS is Windows 7 so to try this new VPN, I chose Canada as the country of origin, once in the Fox site, clicked on the play arrow and it took a while and then the hated message "GEOGRAPHIC RESTRICTION - this content is not available in your location"

Same happened with Brazil (in this case all I got were programs from the Brazil cables and TV stations)
tried Netherlands same sh*tty message
switched to IE instead of Chrome, same thing
then still with IE selected USA as the origin this time I got an OOPS we have encountered some technical problem try another show, I did and of course got the same OOPS

So obviously will definitely NOT pay before the free trial ends, and cancel the subscription. 
Hope my experience will help others to not try to get VPN activation or pay for it, at least if they are from Argentina or any country with "lepers" like we are.

The Antivirus is good and works fine, it blocked two instances of the bloody "Miner" trying to get installed in my system.

Offline Raeken

• Deutsch living in France
Re: VPN does not keep my address hidden !
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 01:45:07 PM »
Have you checked the IP Address after connecting?
You can check it here: https://www.ip2location.com / http://whatismyipaddress.com/

Is your Secureline the builtin (in Avast Antivirus) or Standalone version?

Have you tried to run as administrator? (only in Standalone version)

Keep in mind that some contents around the internet may block VPN services.
Windows 11 Pro - Version 21H2 - 64 Bits | Avast SecureLine VPN - Standalone

Offline marthig

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 06:16:03 PM »
Thank you Raeken for the quick response, I checked just now my IP in one of the links you provided and it seems that the VPN works I got this reply "Your IPv4 Address Is: 5.62.xx.xx" I added the xx but it should be enough those first numbers are of the UK and is the country where I set the Avast VPN, but the problem here is that like with Brazil all I get are programs from UK.

I don't know what it is I am using it's something that kept appearing when I check for viruses so yesterday I decided to accept the free trial and it is installed as part of the Avast AV which is paid so that's all I know.

I am the sole user of my PC and if it takes all that trouble to use this application I don't think it's worth the time.

I will try once more, after all it's not anything so special I want to check, maybe some old Episode and the promos but there are other ways to get them, so will not bother you or me with this.
Thanks once more.

Offline Raeken

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 09:16:16 PM »
marthig, you're welcome.  ;)

As it seems, your VPN service is working as it should.
Can you, please, provide which websites you're trying to access and getting those errors?

I'll try here and see if i can watch this content.  :)

Offline marthig

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 06:18:59 AM »
I am a very stubborn 77 yo granny and all I wanted was to be able to watch "Lucifer" a TV Series aired by Fox USA, I visit Twitter and when some of my friends there post that there is a new clip or promo I can't watch them because I get the "Not available in your location" message.

So I thought that if that VPN could help by showing a different IP I might be able to watch.

I haven't tried to access any other site so I wouldn't know whether they would also reject me as with Fox.
Maybe it's just Fox USA that is so ticklish with their material.
But as I am sure you know there are always "ways" and I can watch Lucifer anyway, only not at the time they air it  :-[

I had no problem accessing the UK Fox site with a UK IP except that I searched for Fox USA and somehow was derived there  :(
I know it is silly and no big drama, many thanks anyway to try to help.  :)

Offline marthig

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 04:55:18 AM »
@Raeken - Following your question from yesterday, have just tried to access the CWtv site and was received with a "forbidden" entry. 
Like I said previously, no problem I know where I can watch my favourite shows, but in case it is useful for you or Avast to know this, I thought would be good to let you know.

Offline Raeken

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 05:25:06 AM »
Hallo, marthig!

I tried, following your ideia about CW website, to watch some episode of Arrow.
This is the result:

I was connected through Miami server and was able to watch it normally. No errors, no "forbidden" message, HD quality and more.
As we can see, you should having issues about the selected server or somekind of issue with your browser detection. Please, choose the same server as i did and try again.
I'm using Firefox Quantum (the newest version) and everything is working fine.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 05:39:14 AM by Raeken »

Offline marthig

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 06:22:27 PM »
It looks quite promising Raeken !  I switched to Miami as you suggest, didn't change my browser.  Chrome for Windows 7, I truly wouldn't like to switch to Firefox and least of all IE ! Have used both and had problems with another site (Art forums) I visit often.
So anyway I was allowed and could watch the last episode of Arrow Season 6, also tried "blessed" Fox and was allowed to watch a blurry version of the latest episode of Lucifer. -Screen shot attached - It seems I could watch the full version if I subscribed, but on a previous occasion I was not allowed because of the address of my gmail.
I didn't try at this time because I have no other mail address, I know there are some sites where you may get a temporary address but I don't like things to get so complicated. Have enough with "frostwire" and occasionally "popcorntime" but that's as far as I can manage (so far :) )
Once more many many thanks for your assistance and interest in the matter.  Will use Miami then for next time at least for CW  ;) Martha
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 06:28:30 PM by marthig »

Offline Raeken

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 06:30:39 AM »
Hallo again, Martha!

Always switch between the USA Servers when it's needed. Some sites may not recognize the IP address as USA or even blocks VPN services.
I suggest you to make more tests and see if it can make you satisfied with your SecureLine VPN.

Glad that i could help.  ;)

Offline marthig

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 08:50:04 PM »
Just to make sure !
I got a reminder from AVAST about the close date of expiration of the VPN trial License and have to admit that sadly and due to monetary reasons only, had to uninstall the VPN component.

After your suggestion to use a Miami address, I had no problems visiting at least CW so it worked fine.

I can't at the moment afford the amount required to renew it, maybe when the current Avast AV license expires in August 2018 I hopefully might add the VPN.

2 Questions: 
Uninstalling the component in the "Settings" of the AV options is enough to avoid automatic renewal ?
If not what should I do to make sure ?  as I said above I CAN'T AFFORD at the moment to pay that amount.

Thank you for all your help, and can you or any other Mod or Admin modify the subject of this thread, adding something like "problem solved" or something like that ?

Bye  :) - Martha

Offline Raeken

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 10:26:01 PM »
Hallo, Martha!
Please, take a look here: https://my.avast.com/en-us/#licenses

If you have any free trial license, just click "Cancel Auto-renewal".
Example:

Offline marthig

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 10:43:04 PM »
Many many thanks once more !
And may you and yours have a great time for the next Holidays, (Christmas or any other celebration you favour)
 ;D :)

Offline Raeken

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 02:56:09 AM »
Martha, glad i could help again!  :)
If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to post here on forums.

Thanks for the Happy Holidays, and i wish you the same.  ;)