Author Topic: Noscript does not work in the new Firefox Quantum browser.  (Read 19216 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Noscript does not work in the new Firefox Quantum browser.
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 01:45:28 PM »
For as long as it may works use the old add-ons:
Navigate to about:config
Search for the extensions.legacy.enabled pref and change the value to true

New extension via Have I Been Pnwd to bring data-breach alerts to Mozilla browsers.
https://github.com/nhnt11/BreachAlerts

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 03:26:50 PM »
@ polonus
That is certainly an option for a time.

I'm finding what add-ons that are available for Quantum are a shadow of there former selves.  I have 8 so far, but the one I really want security wise is RequestPolicy (RP). There is requestblock add-on but that isn't a patch on RP and is only temp permissions, but I have found it to be a pain in the backside (currently disabled) as sites aren't displaying correctly even if you give temporary permission to 'all this page'.

NoScript for Quantum is also awkward to use compared to the previous incarnation.

My concern would be if you make the change to FF prefs for legacy add-ons, how that would impact on any quantum add-ons that you do have.  I would have thought it would be all or nothing (quantum add-ons or legacy no mix) or there could be possible conflict.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 11:40:48 PM »
Hi DavidR,

I do not think you will meet problems there, as that advice came from Github redactors. Github is the best known developers environment, where I often look for all my coding ideas and check-ups. If they say so, they certainly know it from the developer incrowd, the horses' mouth, so to speak. Believe me.

If you feel unhappy with the new NoScript then uMatrix is a good alternative to learn to toggle. Specially crafted as an alternative for Google Chrome when Maone did not know how to bring his add-on to that browser because of the limited access in the lower realms, what limitations it shares now unfortunately with Firefox Quantum.

polonus
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 11:50:23 PM by polonus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2017, 01:23:17 AM »
Hi DavidR,

I do not think you will meet problems there, as that advice came from Github redactors. Github is the best known developers environment, where I often look for all my coding ideas and check-ups. If they say so, they certainly know it from the developer incrowd, the horses' mouth, so to speak. Believe me.

If you feel unhappy with the new NoScript then uMatrix is a good alternative to learn to toggle. Specially crafted as an alternative for Google Chrome when Maone did not know how to bring his add-on to that browser because of the limited access in the lower realms, what limitations it shares now unfortunately with Firefox Quantum.

polonus

Whilst it may not directly cause an issue, I have found something that may not have been considered. 

I have firefox on three systems and they are synced and FF 57.0 is only on my win10 but will end up on my win7 system when I get around to updating FF  on that.  I have already seen some crossovers to my XP System with Firefox 52.4.0 ESR.

I saw that having installed requestblock on the win10 FF 57.0 and subsequently disabled it because of the hassles, I then found it (also disabled) on winXP Firefox 52.4.0 ESR. So I had to uninstall it, which removed it from both synced systems.

I also see that my usual gTranslate (Legacy add-on) wasn't Quantum ready, so I had also the Quantum To Google Translate 2.2 add-on, not a patch on the legacy add-on.  This is what I'm finding the alternative quantum add-on if it exists isn't as good (read flexible/configurable, etc.) as the legacy add-on.

When you add (excuse the pun) FF 57.0 in itself is nowhere as flexible/configurable, I'm not enjoying this experience at all.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 12:49:38 PM »
Hi DavidR,

Do not forget to rename the browser as FireFixed after you solved all these issues with the newer versions of firefox. ;)
Remember the average n00b won't care anyway, he/she/it will just look at it being fast and looking "licked".  :'(
Average people will get the browser they deserve, an all tracking and profiling one with limited access.  :D

polonus
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 12:51:47 PM by polonus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2017, 05:42:06 PM »
Hi DavidR,

Do not forget to rename the browser as FireFixed after you solved all these issues with the newer versions of firefox. ;)
Remember the average n00b won't care anyway, he/she/it will just look at it being fast and looking "licked".  :'(
Average people will get the browser they deserve, an all tracking and profiling one with limited access.  :D

polonus

1.  Whilst I'm more than capable of looking after myself, I often ask my self is all this hassle worth while. In this case I'm close to saying it isn't worth the time and hassle.

I rather doubt I'm alone in that thought, I see Mozilla Firefox losing a large part of its user base, give most are there because of the availability of add-ons and its flexibility and it has lost a lot of ground in those regards.

2.  In all honesty, I don't know where they get this ' being fast'(er), on my win10 system FF 57.0 version I certainly don't see it . 

I'm not seeing it using much less memory, but for me there is little point in having memory if you aren't going to use it.  This is something I will have to monitor as firefox had the habit of RAM usage creeping steadily upwards.  At the moment it is in excess of 1GB with 8 instances of firefox running, not what I would call frugal but I would say it is lower than I have seen it previously.

EDIT: Images added.

EDIT2 This modification of the post timed out twice, don't know what was responsible FF or the forums.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 05:47:11 PM by DavidR »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 10:11:44 PM »
Even the more where Mozilla is now copying more of Google Chrome's ways: https://www.thesslstore.com/blog/chrome-data-url-phishing/
Read: https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2017/11/27/blocking-top-level-navigations-data-urls-firefox-58/

At present a lot of power-users use uMatrix in stead of now crippled  No Script.
Also blocks unwanted/undesired scripts and a lot more - and after some practice - works in a similar fashion.

A combination of uBlock Origin and uMatrix is a very effective one. Very adjustable at that as well. 

Also import som third party filters into uBlock Origin, like for instance: http://cinsscore.com/list/ci-badguys.txt & http://www.networksec.org/grabbho/block.txt & https://raw.githubusercontent.com/firehol/blocklist-ipsets/master/firehol_level1.netset

Against  bitcoin mining scripts uMatrix is also an effective blocker.

Only allow that into/onto uMatrix what one needs to have the loaded website function properly
for you inside your browser client of choice, be it firefox or Google chrome etc.

You need no rocket science abilities to do this,
it can be easily achieved with a bit of persistent excercise and good will.

polonus

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2017, 01:24:10 AM »
It is looking like I will have to get rid of NoScript (NS) not because of what you mention, but because of my firefox synchronisation on my three installations.

There is duplication between NS and uMatrix, so I'm having to do things twice and even when that is done I'm getting what appears to be weird interaction/s, were the page just doesn't load correctly.

I would however, rather have RequestPolicy as that isn't so complex as uMatrix, far quicker, simpler to use than uMatrix and possibly more effective.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2017, 02:21:33 PM »
More misery to show that Mozilla Quantum broswer is on it's way to completely going down the drain:
Unsolliceted extension installed: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/lookingglass

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/7jh9rv/what_is_looking_glass/dr6fiaz/

This might completely suit the needs of Mr. and Mrs. nitwit-Average and their Main Stream click-go-happy-kids,
but is giving the traditional Firefox power-users, like little old me, the creeps.

I now have the feeling that the Firefox browser has completely and utterly capitulated
to be like all the other main browsers, Google Chrome, Blue-e Edge, etc.",
meaning mass consumption instruments for Big Multinational Corps to thrive,
like everything in this world to-day.  >:(

66 very useful legacy type extensions "murdered" in the process.

I hope this will mean the end of frefox,
and we can switch to another concept like Brave etc.

Gone are the days of flock, or of in browser security.
Quantum a hand-out to the needs of Big Tech trackers and profilers,
and suiting Big Gov's Surveillance better.

Sad days, for the more aware  :-[

polonus
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 02:42:23 PM by polonus »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2017, 02:32:19 PM »
For now FF ESR still works for me... Cheers
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2017, 02:49:34 PM »
I wish you a good Advent, Asyn,

Good users also have Palemoon (fx before version 29) and for the tor browser,
the more traditional firefox flaw will never go away. ;D

Quantum equals Edge and/or Google Chrome.

Damian

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2017, 02:51:50 PM »
More misery to show that Mozilla Quantum broswer is on it's way to completely going down the drain:
Unsollicetd extension installed: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/lookingglass

No such beast on my win10 system with firefox 57.0.2, but then again I wouldn't have expected it. As mentioned in your link "No changes will be made to Firefox unless you have opted in to this Alternate Reality Game."  I haven't, so no changes, nor have I received any other unsolicited add-ons. 

However, I don't see Firefox Quantum lasting long and it isn't for this, it is for the pathetic number of add-ons that are available for it.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 03:06:27 PM »
I wish you a good Advent, Asyn...
Thanks Damian, same to you and yours. :)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2017, 12:05:25 AM »
It would be great if the ADD-ON DEVELOPERS update their product and not just mozilla fixing the problem on their side.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2017, 12:29:13 AM »
It would be great if the ADD-ON DEVELOPERS update their product and not just mozilla fixing the problem on their side.

I think you are losing the track here.

Firefox have fixed nothing, they have implemented a policy when FF 57.0 was released that all add-ons would be under a different API/Language (not just a simple update to the existing add-on).  That at a stroke made over 80% of add-ons on my win10 firefox 57.0 installation redundant. 

The developers would have to devote the time to rewrite these add-ons (which by all accounts isn't straight forwards), they also aren't paid for this work unless they get voluntary donations.