Author Topic: Noscript does not work in the new Firefox Quantum browser.  (Read 19395 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Noscript does not work in the new Firefox Quantum browser.
« on: November 14, 2017, 05:23:02 PM »
Sad day for NoScript and Giorgio Maone, firefox now steered away from this beautiful script blocking tool.

Read: https://addons.mozilla.org/nl/firefox/addon/noscript/

The all new Firefox Quantum version does not allow a NoScript installation.
AFAIK there is no alternative that works on the new Firefox engine.

Will you go on using ScriptSafe or uMatrix in the new Firefox browser or leave that browser without NoScript?

Firefox fearing the advertising world there, going to be more and more of a Google Chrome klone now,
using the same extension engine and api engine.

Are you continuing to use the Firefoix Quantum or will this be the demise of the browser?

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Noscript does not work in the new Firefox Quantum browser.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 05:38:50 PM »
Well I saw this coming before I even heard the term Firefox Quantum.

Firefox, has written a long suicide note, a couple of months ago that they will no longer support Legacy Add-ons.  At this point in time I see no move by existing developers to upgrade their Legacy add-ons.  Some/many people may look in another direction for their browser.

Virtually all of my add-ons bar one, are Legacy add-ons.  My only saving grace is that I have the ESR version of FF on this XP system and that will support them for longer.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 05:49:20 PM »
Hi DavidR,

You will be good on firefox palemoon, all your legacy add-ons continued there.
Palemoon, a browser with somewhat more privacy in mind.

polonus

I had a problem with Malware Script Detector v.1.1 add-on, no longer running on firefox.
I run it now as a seperate user script running under Tampermonkey, well under Google chrome.
So you can have an extension running, you only have to run and dance through several more hoops.

Life is not always easy, it is not!

D

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 10:18:18 PM »
There will be a big upgrade to NoScript 10 from NoScript 5 for firefox Quantum,
only NoScript will loose certain functions because Webextensions in Firefox won't support these yet.

Interesting to learn what NoScript lost on the firefox with webextensions?

polonus

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 12:22:45 AM »
A little better news than there would be no NoScript in Firefox Quantum.

I will be very interested to see what other Add-ons make it to Firefox Quantum as the greatest majority of add-ons are Legacy.  I believe the reason why many people are using firefox are the add-ons, lose those and firefox will have lost a lot of users.

The same thing happened when they transitioned to signed add-ons only they kept having to push the date back as there were woefully few signed add-ons as the deadline got closer.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 06:30:23 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 09:50:53 AM »
NoScript 10.1.1 Quantum Powerball Finish... and Rebooting
https://hackademix.net/2017/11/21/noscript-1011-quantum-powerball-finish-and-rebooting/

Thanks - Just added it now to find my way around it.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 09:53:39 AM »
NoScript 10.1.1 Quantum Powerball Finish... and Rebooting
https://hackademix.net/2017/11/21/noscript-1011-quantum-powerball-finish-and-rebooting/
Thanks - Just added it now to find my way around it.
You're welcome Dave, good luck. (I'll stay on ESR with V5 as long as possible...)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Noscript does now work in the new Firefox Quantum browser, solved?
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 12:12:43 PM »
Hi Asyn,

Re: https://noscript.net/getit 

Why Maone, when he ported it to a webextension version, did not make it available to Google Chrome the same time?

That would have ended the discussion and also would have meant the end of firefox, that I still expect to happen soon.

Firefox will go the way of the flock browser. The new NoScript only extends it's death struggle. (In Holland only 6% of the overall userbase on fx now  :o ).

polonus

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 05:42:21 PM »
When it said Legacy Add-ons would no longer be supported after 56.0, along comes FF 57 Quantum and over 80% of my add-ons no longer work.  That Mozilla decision was a long suicide note, akin to when unsigned add-ons wouldn't work (some time ago).  That however, was small beer compared to the effort to completely rewrite their Add-on.

I can't see the add-on developers being prepared to put in the required work (for nothing).

Add to that I'm less than impressed with 57.0 Quantum on my win10 system, I don't like the layout and it is no where close to being as configurable as previous FF versions.  Its meant to be quicker, I can't tell if it is or not, it simply isn't noticeable.

I haven't even checked its resource use as I have 8GB of fast RAM and a relatively quick CPU on an SSD drive.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 11:53:49 PM »
Hi DavidR,

Also read here: https://palant.de/2017/11/11/on-web-extensions-shortcomings-and-their-impact-on-add-on-security

And with Quantum this is the list of issues you have to fix in the settings to make it a tad more secure:

Below you find a list of settings, to get the best privacy settings as possible.
N.B. we have to go under the browser hood, and that means you change this settings so at your own risk.

In the address bar give in: about:config and then directly push the Return button.
Read the warning first and then proceed.

This list is a first starter and telemetry does not come included, but one feels more comfy this way.

Privacy Settings Firefox.

1. privacy.firstparty.isolate = true
* A result of the Tor Uplift effort, this preference isolates all browser identifier sources (e.g. cookies) to the first party domain, with the goal of preventing tracking across different domains.
2. privacy.resistFingerprinting = true (personally I would not use this, it resolves to a smaller version of FF)
* A result of the Tor Uplift effort, this preference makes Firefox more resistant to browser fingerprinting.
3. privacy.trackingprotection.enabled = true
* This is Mozilla’s new built in tracking protection. It uses Disconnect.me filter list, which is redundant if you are already using uBlock Origin 3rd party filters, therefore you should set it to false if you are using the add-on functionalities.
4. browser.cache.offline.enable = false
* Disables offline cache.
5. browser.safebrowsing.malware.enabled = false
* Disable Google Safe Browsing malware checks. Security risk, but privacy improvement.
6. browser.safebrowsing.phishing.enabled = false
* Disable Google Safe Browsing and phishing protection. Security risk, but privacy improvement.
7. browser.send_pings = false
* The attribute would be useful for letting websites track visitors’ clicks.
8. browser.sessionstore.max_tabs_undo = 0
* Even with Firefox set to not remember history, your closed tabs are stored temporarily at Menu -> History -> Recently Closed Tabs.
9. browser.urlbar.speculativeConnect.enabled = false
* Disable preloading of autocomplete URLs. Firefox preloads URLs that autocomplete when a user types into the address bar, which is a concern if URLs are suggested that the user does not want to connect to.
10. dom.battery.enabled = false
* Website owners can track the battery status of your device.
11. dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled = false
* Disable that websites can get notifications if you copy, paste, or cut something from a web page, and it lets them know which part of the page had been selected.
12. geo.enabled = false
* Disables geolocation.
13. media.navigator.enabled = false
* Websites can track the microphone and camera status of your device.
14. network.cookie.cookieBehavior = 1
* Disable cookies
* 0 = Accept all cookies by default
* 1 = Only accept from the originating site (block third party cookies)
* 2 = Block all cookies by default
15. network.cookie.lifetimePolicy = 2
* cookies are deleted at the end of the session
* 0 = Accept cookies normally
* 1 = Prompt for each cookie
* 2 = Accept for current session only
* 3 = Accept for N days
16. network.http.referer.trimmingPolicy = 2
* Send only the scheme, host, and port in the Referer header
* 0 = Send the full URL in the Referer header
* 1 = Send the URL without its query string in the Referer header
* 2 = Send only the scheme, host, and port in the Referer header
17. network.http.referer.XOriginPolicy = 2
* Only send Referer header when the full hostnames match. (Note: if you notice significant breakage, you might try 1 combined with an XOriginTrimmingPolicy tweak below.)
* 0 = Send Referer in all cases
* 1 = Send Referer to same eTLD sites
* 2 = Send Referer only when the full hostnames match
18. network.http.referer.XOriginTrimmingPolicy = 2
* When sending Referer across origins, only send scheme, host, and port in the Referer header of cross-origin requests.
* 0 = Send full url in Referer
* 1 = Send url without query string in Referer
* 2 = Only send scheme, host, and port in Referer
19. webgl.disabled = true
* WebGL is a potential security risk.  (source anonymous poster at security dot nl)

And a more official variant here:
https://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/18/a-comprehensive-list-of-firefox-privacy-and-security-settings/

polonus (volunteer website security analyst and website error-hunter)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 12:42:33 AM by polonus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 12:06:36 AM »
This whole issue is a bloody nightmare, Mozilla not content with having shot themselves in the foot are now looking down the barrel to see if the gun is still loaded.

Users shouldn't have to jump through hoops like this to protect their privacy/security.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 12:52:49 AM »
Hi DavidR,

Completely and utterly agree with you there.
The end-user interwebs infrastructure should be safe by default for all- server side and client side alike.

The problem is we do not live in an ideal world, and that shows from all sides, server side and client side,
what we discuss here in this thread is where the seams of the fabric come apart and insecurity shows most.

But we here the avast support community do what we can, educationally, voluntarily and on a support basis.

The road we have to go is long, but it always starts with a first step.

Who never starts out on that road will have to suffer the consequences thereoff, and others will soon play tricks on them.

polonus