Author Topic: Interesting Issue with avast! and Heuristics (oh no, not again?)  (Read 8738 times)

Data_Pirate

Yes, I know this whole situation has been debated on several times on the forums, but that's really all that's been said, and after finding this thread on Wilders while searching for ways to help improve the detection of malware, I found this interesting post on the whole debate.

The initial idea starts here after the known information has been stated:

Actually, it does not completely lack.

Although avast! Home/Pro has no heuristic (like NOD32, BitDefender) and it heavily relies on virus signature but avast! also has another proactive detections, it has generic detections in its on-demand/on-access scaner and also has so-called heuristic module in its e-mail scanner for detecting mass-mailing worms.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=20895.0

The reply then moves on to here:

Yes, I already understand that, sorry for the wording there. The main reason why I said "completely lack" is because although generic detections may seem great and unique for avast!, almost every good AV already has that already, and email scanning is not as important if you use a web-based email opposed to Outlook Express.

I know this issue has already been brought up in the avast! forums, but not much has been said. I still find it awkward why they look at heuristics so negatively when it's been proven to provide better detection rates compared to signatures alone, I mean it's impossible to have every single signature for all viruses out there in the world.  Heuristics have already shown its might with NOD32 and in all the past AV comparitive results, and the whole issue with false positives is something every company eventually endures.  No offense, I like avast! and it's support & staff a lot, but it seems like they're a bit afraid to approach the task of expanding their heuristics from just their email scanner to their entire program. I know they're great for providing high quality, free security software, but IMHO without the implementation of heuristics, it will not go too far in terms of detection and will require backup programs to aide users in their protection.

:blink: Whoa got a bit side-tracked there! Couldn't help myself---it's information I kept inside that jumped out from the opportunity. Anyway, my point is I really wish they'd add it in eventually, it just seems so odd to leave something so important out of the big picture. With just plainly decent heuristics, avast! would certainly improve in its detection.

edit: P.S Sorry if it sounded like flaming, I was just simply expressing my opinion. :P I'm still happy with avast! and have no intention of changing so far.

If you're wondering the thread's original link was here, and the posts were near the middle of the thread: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=130254

Well I must say it's an interesting post, and I just wonder what avast! will really do with this situation with heuristics.

Data_Pirate

Re: Interesting Issue with avast! and Heuristics (oh no, not again?)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 06:40:42 PM »
Well this is interesting, there is no official reply to this thread  ::)

mauserme

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 07:33:46 PM »
Well, I'm not qualified to give an official reply but there's an interesting perspective from Vlk in this thread

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13079.msg110392#msg110392

M

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 07:59:21 PM »
From my albeit llimited experience I found that heuristic scanning gave too many false positives.  My two pennorth

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 08:00:07 PM »
Well this is interesting, there is no official reply to this thread  ::)
Most likely because as you said "Interesting Issue with avast! and Heuristics (oh no, not again?)" this has been done to death already, there are multiple topics relating to this with statements from Alwil team members.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mauserme

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 10:03:45 PM »
this has been done to death already ...
Or, like all good questions, this one was just hibernating for a while.  Wouldn't want to discourage open dialog...

Edit:  I seem to recall a recent thread in which an alwil team member hinted that a future version of avast! might incorporate heuristics.  Does anyone else remember this or am I mistaken?  I haven't been able to find the thread.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 10:12:44 PM by mauserme »

Neron

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 10:50:17 AM »
Why can't avast have an option for heuristic scanning not enabled by default.People can't blame avast for the false positives then.Avast team can put a message under the option that this might cause many false positives.Everybody will be happy-heuristic and non-heuristic lovers. ;)

por100pre1

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 01:56:01 PM »
Most likely because as you said "Interesting Issue with avast! and Heuristics (oh no, not again?)" this has been done to death already, there are multiple topics relating to this with statements from Alwil team members.

I agree with you DavidR. But there's more; there are many of us who are already tired of reading this kind of topic.

mauserme

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 06:01:14 PM »
I agree with you DavidR. But there's more; there are many of us who are already tired of reading this kind of topic.
Agreement is fine/reading is voluntary.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 08:58:22 PM »
To prevent speculations, let me just say that enhanced proactive detection (I intentionally don't use the word "heuristics" here, as it usually has a more specific meaning) is something we're definitely looking at, and moving forward, plan to spend considerable time on.

It just needs some time (as other things): currently, I somehow prefer to give up bringing big new features in interim builds (currently released approx. bi-monthly) and favor the "accumulate all big new features for the next major release" model...

Yes, I'm talking about avast 5.

I apologize if this post sounds cryptic. :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 10:33:57 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 10:32:24 PM »
I love cryptic  ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 10:47:24 PM »
I love avast! ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 11:57:28 PM »
To prevent speculations, let me just say that enhanced proactive detection (I intentionally don't use the word "heuristics" here, as it usually has a more specific meaning) is something we're definitely looking at, and moving forward, plan to spend considerable time on.
Good to know. Fantastic.

Yes, I'm talking about avast 5.
You'll have tons of beta testers  8) ;D
The best things in life are free.

wishiknew

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 03:11:51 AM »
I don't think good "heuristics" is built in a day.  Wouldn't want to see something end up like AVG.

VLK/Avast, please take your time and don't rush.

I like to see something like Mcafee's engine preview program.

TAP

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 03:51:58 AM »
I don't think good "heuristics" is built in a day.  Wouldn't want to see something end up like AVG.

Hey, as far as I read, AVG Anti-Virus System seems to have all state-of-the-art detection technology you would expect from today's excellent antivirus software, especially heuristic detections.

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/39/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

But is it really effective? I don't know. ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 06:17:22 AM by TAP »