Author Topic: Email signature  (Read 1823 times)

REDACTED

Email signature
« on: November 19, 2017, 01:49:53 AM »
I realize most people would have this feature turned off, I however, want it enabled. I have Email signature enabled, and all three options to insert for incoming and outgoing emails. It however is not inserting the signature, and any attempt to get answers from Bing returns the opposite of what I'm seeking. Any helpful suggestions?  I am using Outlook 2016.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Email signature
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 09:54:37 AM »
As far as I'm aware, the insertion of the email signature is based on the Mail Shield (email clients) and on the Web Shield (Web Mail).  I think that there may also be some web mail services that can't have the signature inserted.  Since you mention Bing, presumably you are using Bing's web mail function ?

Previously MS Outlook had its own Avast Plugin, so the Mail Shield isn't/wasn't in use if the Avast Outlook Plugin is in use effectively working inside Outlook. Because of this and the fact that there are no signature settings for the Avast Outlook Plugin, no signature insertion.

I could well be wrong about that as I don't use MS Outlook.  You could try disabling the avast plugin and see if the email is handled by the Mail Shield.

Have the email signatures ever worked for you using MS Outlook in the past ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 04:35:05 AM »
102 views and you're the only one to respond. In any case, I'm using Outlook 2016 which is apart of Office 2016. I use Bing for my searches, instead of others like Google or Yahoo. The only plugin that is installed is Avast! Antispam, and I don't see that being a problem. Outlook does allow for signatures as I added one to test it out, but Avast! isn't inserting one. I don't use web based email like Outlook.com as I already have the office version. I'm not sure if it's worked before, I recently got office for my Windows 10 laptop and my Windows 10 Tablet. There seems to be little support for this feature, so I guess it's a useless feature and will have to simply turn it off. :/

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 09:44:59 AM »
Views (117 now), for the most part are likely to be curiosity, not necessarily having the same issue or I would have thought they would have contributed.

As far as signature insertion goes many users in the forums were seeking an answer on how to disable it. They felt it intrusive and advertising for avast.  Email signatures can also be faked to make it look like an email is clean.

Unfortunately my lack of personal use of Outlook is very limited and from a very long time ago, I don't have it on any of my systems, so I can't have a rummage round to check anything out.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 11:46:42 AM »
The only thing that signature say is that it was scanned by avast.

If anything was detected you will not be able to send it, so reciver will never see a signature that say avast detected ... unless reciver has avast installed and it is detected when downloading it

Be aware that all mail providers have AV on there mail servers so it will be scanned at evry mailserver that mail is going true

Offline HK

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 03:40:04 PM »
Hi Psycho Rock 411,

can you see any errors in mail.log file located in c:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log\ folder?

Anyway, it depends on what type of account do you use in outlook client. Signature is added to IMAP or POP client without any issue while exchange account does not is not supported.

Regards,
HK