Author Topic: OBSESSIVE IN-APP ADDON ADVERTISING ON PAID LICENSE  (Read 1939 times)

REDACTED

OBSESSIVE IN-APP ADDON ADVERTISING ON PAID LICENSE
« on: November 18, 2017, 08:39:02 PM »
 >:(

Hi.

I have paid for Avast! Antivirus/Avast Internet Security for several years now.

I started to pay for it when I had money because I had been using Avast! Free AV for years and enjoyed the level of security and setup of the user interface and felt like it was the best antivirus.

Over the years, Avast has now been popping up with more and more stuff... buying addon security/system optimizations/VPNs/upgrade to Premium Suite, etc

It's got to the point where I am likely going to choose a new AV and stop my recurring subscription to Avast.

If I click on it, oddly it tells me I have 0 issues and prompts me to "Resolve" this...

Upon clicking on Resolve, I'm presented with an in application checkout for a product I don't desire, nor wish to be advertised to in a product I'm already paying money for.

when I press the "x" to close this, I'm then presented with a "free trial" for this add-on product...

Further, to add insult to injury and further throw sand in the wound,
Upon registering to post on this forum, I received a popup on your website to install Avast Mobile Security on my Android phone. I'm really not sure how to feel about this.

I feel like you're driving away customers with all these adverts for add-on software.
I'm really disappointed with what Avast has become.

I hope the remaining 642 days of this subscription won't be the same as this.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 08:44:15 PM by XLDS »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: OBSESSIVE IN-APP ADDON ADVERTISING ON PAID LICENSE
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 09:12:54 PM »
Have you disabled the AvastUI > Settings > General > Popups - un-check the 'Show popup offers for other Avast products ?

Personally this is pretty poor form, the above option should be disabled by default on paid versions of avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 05:40:43 PM »
I enabled the setting and haven't observed any popups yet. Thanks for the help. I didn't know to look for an "anti ad button" on a paid subscription, or even freeware version of a piece of software.

I still feel agitated that this is an option at all.

This goes against what made people like avast in the first place, it was unobtrusive and free, and many customers like me were in middle or high school when we started using it, and switched to paying for subscription when we could afford it a few years down the road.

This along with some of the user interface changes in the last two years haven't felt the best about... Hope someone from Avast takes my criticism positively.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 06:45:44 PM »
The more people that post like this the better (I hope)
Ads in the free version - ok, perhaps.
Paid - never.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 06:49:04 PM »
I enabled the setting and haven't observed any popups yet. Thanks for the help. I didn't know to look for an "anti ad button" on a paid subscription, or even freeware version of a piece of software.

<snip>

You're welcome.

I would be pretty upset if I was using a paid version. As I said this default setting is wrong for paid users, they shouldn't have to be looking to switch it off.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 06:53:55 PM »

<snip>

You're welcome.

I would be pretty upset if I was using a paid version. As I said this default setting is wrong for paid users, they shouldn't have to be looking to switch it off.

That's not changing. I've brought it up several times on Slack and when we Evangelists went Prague. I do believe there was a mention if you were using the Ultimate bundle, ads would be disabled by default.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 06:56:47 PM »

<snip>

You're welcome.

That's not changing. I've brought it up several times on Slack and when we Evangelists went Prague. I do believe there was a mention if you were using the Ultimate bundle, ads would be disabled by default.

Yes, Deaf and blind too the paid users complaining in the forums.