Author Topic: Trojan? or False Positive?  (Read 11906 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Trojan? or False Positive?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 11:31:24 PM »
I don't know what ZA's anti-spyware checks, if it checks web content then it is entirely possible due to duplication of scanning. I also have the Content and Active Content plug-ins disabled in my firewall. I want it to concentrate on being a firewall and let me take care of the rest.

What I meant was that if your version of ZA included an active anti-virus avast could conflict with another resident AV, which as you have now clarified by saying it is an anti-spyware function. Your understanding of what ZA does (especially the Pro version) is likely to be greater than mine, it is over three years since  last used it (free version) and you have it for reference on your system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Logan

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 04:33:38 AM »
What should I expect from ZA? I'm not so happy with it sometimes sometimes I think it's a great firewall other times... Not so much.  Anyways I re-Reconfigured and still found one of them I didn't find the other one though which is good.  (it was the Fotosex one) I'm not going to Re-re-reconfigur though because well... That just over kill lol.

P.S I let Zone Alarm Pro Deal with it as I talked with one of their staff members and they said it will get rid of it just to rescan to make sure I got it all.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 04:37:46 AM by Logan »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 02:47:35 PM »
Sorry I can't help you with ZA and what you should expect I haven't used it in over 3 years and that was the free version.

Reconfiguring wouldn't change any detections, unless when they were detected you selected ignore if that option existed but, you should only choose that option if you absolutely know the detection is incorrect.

Personally I prefer to use other dedicated anti-spyware products in an on-demand scan function, rather than have a unknown bolt-on/plug-in solution incorporated in my firewall (as I said let it get on with being a firewall). This way I update the signatures and run a weekly scan or by monitoring the << Updates >> Topic on the General forum you can see when updates are reported for your anti-spyware, I download the signature update and then I run a scan.

Now if something is detected that previously hasn't been I don't take it at face value, I check what is being detected and investigate, google, etc. only if what is being detected is serious, not tracking cookies, etc. Before I would allow a deletion, file or registry entry I check and double check. If it isn't serious and/or I'm not convinced it is a positive detection then I ignore it and frequently the following week a false positive detection has been corrected and it isn't detected again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Logan

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 06:39:27 PM »
well I did delete the file.  :(   what's an On-Demand?  and also would my computer be clean now?  I googled the virus name and nothing came up

Spiritsongs

"On Demand", etc
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2006, 07:05:02 PM »
 :)  Hi Logan :

"On Demand" means the User initiates ( "starts" ) the
       scan, NOT some "automatic" started by a program.
      Zone Alarm is known NOT to have a very good
      anti-SPYWARE program; would be better using FREE
      products, like Ad-Aware, Ewido, a-squared, and/or the
     "Free" version of "SUPERantispyware" .

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2006, 08:45:51 PM »
well I did delete the file.  :(   what's an On-Demand?  and also would my computer be clean now?  I googled the virus name and nothing came up
When you say you deleted it, does ZA not keep a backup so you can restore if it was a problem ? AdAware that has been mentioned and a number of other anti-spyware programs allow for quarantine or backup of files/registry keys if you need to restore them.

Your computer is as clean now as it is likely to be since you have performed many scans with different programs.

The fact that nothing came up in a google search I would say in certain cases (depending on what the file name and location where), nothing being returned is suspicious and would warrant further investigation (Virustotal/Jotti, etc.), difficult when the file has been deleted.