Poll

Do you think that the default skin for avast! 4.7 Home should be changed to look more professional?

Yes, it currently looks more like a music player than a professional anti-virus software program.
12 (60%)
No, the default skin looks fine and professional enough for me.
2 (10%)
It doesn't matter, you can always download other skins or create your own.
6 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: POLL: avast! 4 Home Edition - Default Skin  (Read 2375 times)

DaveD

POLL: avast! 4 Home Edition - Default Skin
« on: June 08, 2006, 08:42:19 PM »
I have been using avast! 4 Home Edition for 1 to 2 years now. I have a great deal of respect for the Alwil company for providing such a great anti-virus for home users for free, some of which cannot afford the typical costs of anti-virus programs. avast! 4 Home Edition works very well, I have a lot of trust in avast! which I have developed over time. And avast! runs very well, without using as much resources as most other anti-virus software often does.

It is my personal opinion that the default skin for avast! Home Edition (not familiar with Pro) should be changed for the next version of avast! to be released. This default skin has been used for quite some time now and I think it is time for a change. Sure, I understand that you can always download new skins or even create your own skin. But I am all about 'first impressions'. I love avast!, but have always disliked the default skin because I personally feel that it does not look professional, and looks more like a music player for that matter.

I think that a clean and professional looking default skin on the next version of avast! would be amazing for 'first impressions' of new users (and enjoyed by existing users).

Please feel free to post your own toughts regarding the default skin and complete the poll.

Sincerely,
Dave
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 09:17:14 PM by DaveD »

ardvark

Re: POLL: avast! 4 Home Edition - Default Skin
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 07:38:08 AM »
Hi DaveD...

While I would agree that the default skin looks like a "music player," the option of changing it to whatever you like is one of the big advantages to using this program.

In the end, if what's beneath the skin is top rate, then the skin itself won't matter.  :)

Best Regards...

TAP

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 09:31:44 AM »
In my opinion, the default skin looks a bit ugly and it's not so ergonomics, avast! should use its skinless interface as the default skin and if users want more so they can always change or download other skins.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 09:34:36 AM by TAP »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 04:02:26 PM »
I would have to say I'm not a great fan of the default skin, it isn't obvious what it is nor is it obvious what things are for or how to select and run a scan at first. This can be a little confusing (perhaps daunting) for a novice user, but it doesn't take long to master. Then the world is their oyster for a large selection of skins.

The greatest issue for Alwil is that not all users will have powerful graphics or high resolution monitors or the latest OS. There is such a large number of permutations of system, OS, graphics, Monitors, that you have to have something that will work with the lowest common denominator and the current default does that.

I'm currently using the Silhouette_4in1 by Sasha which I think is relatively clean and professional, I personally don't really like the no skin option, it too has graphics issues with users in safe mode and 640X480 default resolution in earlier windows versions as it has a 800X600 background image and no scroll bars.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security