Author Topic: Mail protection doesn't work  (Read 14014 times)

rexmale

Mail protection doesn't work
« on: May 12, 2006, 06:10:23 AM »
Hi,

I have uninstall avg and installed the avast home on my winXP SP 2.

I tried to send and receive from Outlook Express and Pegasus, but it seemed the avast didn't scan my outgoing or incoming email, cause I have checked the email header and it doesn't contain the avast. I have setup up the avast to insert note both for smtp or pop. How to solve this problem.

Thanks,
UD

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Mail protection doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 01:58:46 PM »
Are you sure you proper uninstalled (and not only disabled) AVG?
Do you use any other antivirus in your computer (like ClamWin or any with email plugins)?

Do you use a firewall? Is ashmaisv.exe allowed to connect?
Are your avast Internet Mail provider settings ok?

To see if avast! is scanning emails, check one of these points:
1) Is the avast icon (the special one of email scanning) be shown in the system tray?
2) Is your email header with the lines X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0XXX-X, XX/XX/2005), Inbound message and X-Antivirus-Status: Clean? (Right click the message, choose Properties and Details). After you check your settings, as they're not there now.
3) Are clean notes added at the bottom of the email? (Internet Mail provider settings). The same as above...

You can test the security of your email system here: http://www.gfi.com/emailsecuritytest/
The best things in life are free.

Its Me

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 03:33:43 PM »
Hello

Are you using plugins for the mail clients?

rexmale

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 05:49:08 AM »
Are you sure you proper uninstalled (and not only disabled) AVG?
Yes, I'm very sure I have uninstalled it.

Do you use any other antivirus in your computer (like ClamWin or any with email plugins)?
No, no.

Do you use a firewall? Is ashmaisv.exe allowed to connect?
No firewall.

Are your avast Internet Mail provider settings ok?
Which one? what to setting up?

To see if avast! is scanning emails, check one of these points:
1) Is the avast icon (the special one of email scanning) be shown in the system tray?
Only an 'a' blue ball

2) Is your email header with the lines X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0XXX-X, XX/XX/2005), Inbound message and X-Antivirus-Status: Clean? (Right click the message, choose Properties and Details). After you check your settings, as they're not there now.
Do not have that lines

3) Are clean notes added at the bottom of the email? (Internet Mail provider settings). The same as above...
No notes

You can test the security of your email system here: http://www.gfi.com/emailsecuritytest/

Are you using plugins for the mail clients?
Not using plugins

Thanks and regards,
Rex
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 06:03:30 AM by rexmale »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 08:17:18 AM »
rexmale

is the mail account you are checking a simple POP3/SMTP account using port 110 for POP3 and port 25 for SMTP?

rexmale

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 08:33:18 AM »
rexmale

is the mail account you are checking a simple POP3/SMTP account using port 110 for POP3 and port 25 for SMTP?
Yes, my email account uses port 110 and 25 only.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 10:36:48 AM »
To better identify what may be happening it will probably be useful to create (for a while) a more detailed avast! log of your mail connections.

You can get the mailscanner to log your connections by editing the avast4.ini file (in  Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA folder).

In the section headed:

[MailScanner]

add the line:

Log=20

and save the updated file.

The log will be in Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\ashmaisv.log

If you are then willing to share the log ... please first obscure any personally identifiable information in it ... we shall have a better chance of understanding if something is preventing avast from scanning your mail.

rexmale

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 11:16:26 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the responses, here I attached the log file (unedited).

I have installed the AVG again dan run the setup to uninstalled it, uninstalled avast dan reinstalled it, but still the Email protection doesn't work for me.

Thanks and regards,
Rex

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 01:40:33 PM »
Rexmale, did you use ClamWin or any spam killer application?
Which firewall do you use?
If you go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then remove the 'Outlook/Exchange' plugin, will you Outlook Express work?
The best things in life are free.

rexmale

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 03:57:52 AM »
Hi,

I don't use any firewall nor spam killer on my computer, but I have Windows Defender from Microsoft.

I have tried Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> avast -> Change -> cross the Outlook/Exchange plugin, then restarted my computer. Tested send and receive email from Outlook Express, but I can not find the email header that tell me avast has scanned it, and the avast Internet Mail's scanned count still 0.

Thanks and regards,
Rex

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 05:41:50 AM »
One thing I did not explicitly state ... so forgive me I my question seems too obvious.  Did the log you posted cover a period when you were receiving mail in Outlook Express?

The log certainly shows avast setting the intercepts but the log shows that no mail is actually intercepted. On the face of it it would seem that something else is preventing the avast intercepts from catching the POP3 requests from OE.

Did you use any other AV on this system other than AVG?

rexmale

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 07:25:04 AM »
One thing I did not explicitly state ... so forgive me I my question seems too obvious.  Did the log you posted cover a period when you were receiving mail in Outlook Express?
Yes, after I turned the log=20 on then I tried to send and get email from Outlook Express and Pegasus, and posted the log here.

The log certainly shows avast setting the intercepts but the log shows that no mail is actually intercepted. On the face of it it would seem that something else is preventing the avast intercepts from catching the POP3 requests from OE.

Did you use any other AV on this system other than AVG?
No, I'm not using other AV except Windows Defender, I have tried to telnet 127.0.0.1 12025 and telnet 127.0.0.1 12110, both were successful connect to avast SMTP proxy and avast POP3 proxy.

Thanks and regards,
Rex

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 10:09:14 AM »
Thanks for the clarification.

Your telnet tests prove that the avast proxies are working properly, sadly it does not help us with the avast port 110 intercept not being able to catch the OE POP3 requests.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 01:55:16 PM »
If the transparent redirect does not work, it may be due to an incompatible program.
1) some LSP-type program (e.g. traffic accelerator)
2) some conflicting program ignored by the redirect (see the log, e.g. avgemc.exe)

rexmale

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 03:20:46 AM »
If the transparent redirect does not work, it may be due to an incompatible program.
1) some LSP-type program (e.g. traffic accelerator)
2) some conflicting program ignored by the redirect (see the log, e.g. avgemc.exe)

Hi,

I'm not use any traffic accelerator.
So how to solve the problem conflicting program?

Thanks and regards,
Rex