Author Topic: Avast Cleanup corrupted my Windows Live Mail  (Read 2742 times)

REDACTED

Avast Cleanup corrupted my Windows Live Mail
« on: November 21, 2017, 03:59:59 AM »
I ran an Avast Cleanup scan on Saturday. My computer seemed to run faster after the scan, but when I tried to open Windows Live Mail (my email client), I got a message saying that the program could not be opened. I did a little investigation and discovered that the program won't start any longer by just clicking on the icon. To start it I have to open Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services, then scroll down to Windows Live ID Assistant and open the properties box, then click on Automatic Startup and change the service status from Stop to Start. I thought this would permanently fix my issue, but every time I restart my computer I have to go through this process to start Windows Live Mail. It seems that the scan did something to remove a registry value for the program. I did a system restore, but even after that I have the same problem.

What can I do to reverse the issue that Cleanup created? I had no problem like this until after I ran Cleanup, so this had to be the reason for my problem. I would appreciate any advice offered here. Thanks in advance!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

Re: Avast Cleanup corrupted my Windows Live Mail
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 05:18:53 AM »
Thanks for this. I didn't even see the Rescue Center there until your link pointed it out. I appreciate the suggestion. I will try this tomorrow.

One question: Will the Rescue Cleaner undo all registry changes, or can I be selective about which changes I want to revert? I haven't checked it out yet, thus my question.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 05:22:01 AM »
1. Thanks for this. I didn't even see the Rescue Center there until your link pointed it out. I appreciate the suggestion. I will try this tomorrow.
2. One question: Will the Rescue Cleaner undo all registry changes, or can I be selective about which changes I want to revert? I haven't checked it out yet, thus my question.
1. You're welcome.
2. No idea, sorry. Best you wait for Stellarman.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 09:08:44 AM »
Thanks for this. I didn't even see the Rescue Center there until your link pointed it out. I appreciate the suggestion. I will try this tomorrow.

One question: Will the Rescue Cleaner undo all registry changes, or can I be selective about which changes I want to revert? I haven't checked it out yet, thus my question.

Hi,

at the moment you can only revert the all registry changes you made with Cleanup.
We would like to introduce the feature you are talking about so you can select particular registry items to be cleaned or reverted but this will take us some time.

Best regards!

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 05:45:14 AM »
Thank you for your response, Stellarman!