Author Topic: 100% CPU on Win10 = Bye Bye Avast after more than 10 years fidelity...  (Read 980 times)

REDACTED

:(
After more than 10 years of fidelity to the tool and having being an active evangelist (installed it on every single PC i was managing) and promoting to friends I had to part with it ..
It all started with my ASUS F554LJ Laptop and windows 10 ... I had to cope for over a year of seriously sluggish performance and huge lags in anything you tried to do on it ... In short the HD is working constantly at 100%
I browsed all the forums and Windows support threads and applied all the fixes ... increase of pagefile, disable superfetch etc ... Nothing changed ... Then I bumped into a thread where the person had actually paid to get an MS support guy to fix it. They couldn't find anything except the fact that BitDefender (the native MS antivirus) is somehow not liking other Antivirus software and he suggested to remove the other software (it was not Avast) ... after that the PC returned to normal  10% CPU load

I decided to try it as well and ... unfortunately it proved to be true ...
I just uninstalled and restarted 10 min ago and I already feel the difference and my HDD runs again at 10 to 20% tops ...
I actually had just bought a 250 SSD thinking that my crappy 5200 rpm HDD was the culprit ... but it was AVAST ...

How very disappointing

It might very well be Windows trying to kick out others ... i don't know, but there is no choice for now ... i need my PC to perform as well as it can

On the positive side, for the last 10 or more years i never had any virus issue ... I will miss it !

REDACTED

Re: 100% CPU on Win10 = Bye Bye Avast after more than 10 years fidelity...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 11:53:19 PM »
I decided to try it as well and ... unfortunately it proved to be true ...

You decided to try what? Uninstalling Avast while you already had another antivirus???
No wonder that you had a sluggish performance.