Author Topic: Putting Background Processes to Sleep With Avast  (Read 338 times)

Offline Raymond61

Putting Background Processes to Sleep With Avast
« on: November 23, 2017, 12:25:10 AM »
After electing to put background processes "To sleep" with Avast Cleanup to improve performance, (Adobe Reader and Adobe Photoshop Elements 12) the programs could not be opened until I uninstalled the Avast Cleanup program. My understanding was that the programs would start on demand when needed. I also could not get the cleanup program itself to open, this is why I uninstalled. Maybe I'll try again someday when the bugs are worked out.

Offline Stellarman

• Avast team
Re: Putting Background Processes to Sleep With Avast
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 10:20:25 AM »
Hi,

this is definitely not the intended behavior as it should start the sleeping programs on demand as you described.
We would like to investigate what happened on your computer and why it does not work how it should but for that we would need the log files.

If you would be so kind and try to install it again and collect the logs we would really appreciate your help!

Log files are stored here: c:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Tuneup\log\ and you could then upload it either to your favourite file share or you could use our FTP server ftp.avast.com/ftp/incoming/ (login: anonymous).

Thank you!

Offline davewsv

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 09:14:33 PM »
I put Facebook Game room to sleep and it won't wake up either.  I've followed the instructions to use the Rescue option and Avast now thinks its running but it won't open.  I've rebooted my windows 10 box a few times and just now uninstalled Game room and reinstalled.  It was hard to reinstall but I finally got it back.  But it still won't open.  WTH!

Offline davewsv

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 05:34:42 PM »
Well I don't know what did it but I was finally able to get Facebook Gameroom going again.  Other than the steps I outlined in my earlier post I did nothing further.  Looks like it take 24 hours or more to fix itself once you have woken it via the Rescue page.

Not good Avast definitively not a selling point.  >:(

Offline Stellarman

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 05:21:27 PM »
Hi,

this is very unfortunate situation and we are sorry for that.

Could you please help us to investigate the issue by collecting the Cleanup log files?

Log files are stored here: c:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Tuneup\log\ and you could then upload it either to your favourite file share or you could use our FTP server ftp.avast.com/ftp/incoming/ (login: anonymous).

Thank you!