Author Topic: Putting Background Processes to Sleep With Avast  (Read 36070 times)

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
Re: Putting Background Processes to Sleep With Avast
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 12:31:42 PM »
Hi,

if some of the apps are not waken up automatically, please specify which programs/apps in which version you have a problem with so we can test them in our environment. The automatic wake functionality is build in a general way to work for every program but it might happen that some program needs a special handling and we would like to know that so we can adjust the functionality accordingly.
Additionally I would like to ask you to provide us with logs we could then analyze to see what happened in your case and fix it for the next version if possible.

You can simply send them by executing our log collector utility from this path C:\Program Files (x86)\AVAST Software\Avast Cleanup\tulogcollector.exe assuming that you have still Avast Cleanup installed on your computer.
Just please add your email address there so we can join the logs with your report here.

Thank you.

Offline Adam522

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2020, 03:56:40 AM »
Hi there,

Yesterday I installed the Avast Cleanup Premium to give it a try. After Fixing & Cleaning broken registry and shortcuts I put asleep some programs including Adobe Acrobat DC. I found out the files do not wake up so I set it up to wake mode. However, it didnt help and pdf files open only for a few seconds when they shut down after. Also jpg files now appear with indefinite icon, but I can open them with windows photo viewer.
I uninstalled the avast clean up hoping it would help but it did not.

I use Adobe Acrobat DC for work and I am stuck now.

Are you now kidding me with the verification requirements to post?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2020, 06:23:51 AM »
Captcha is only needed for your first 3 posts. (Spam protection)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2020, 03:19:46 PM »
Hi there,

Yesterday I installed the Avast Cleanup Premium to give it a try. After Fixing & Cleaning broken registry and shortcuts I put asleep some programs including Adobe Acrobat DC. I found out the files do not wake up so I set it up to wake mode. However, it didnt help and pdf files open only for a few seconds when they shut down after. Also jpg files now appear with indefinite icon, but I can open them with windows photo viewer.
I uninstalled the avast clean up hoping it would help but it did not.

I use Adobe Acrobat DC for work and I am stuck now.

Hi,

We apologize for the inconvenient situation.

In order to be able to help you I would like to ask you to send the log files so we can investigate where the problem is.
You can simply send them by executing our log collector utility from this path C:\Program Files (x86)\AVAST Software\Avast Cleanup\tulogcollector.exe assuming that you have still Avast Cleanup installed on your computer.
Just please add your email address there so we can join the logs with your report here.

Thank you.

Offline RJ

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2022, 11:54:16 AM »
This old thread saved me.  Thank you very much for the suggestion about uninstalling Avast Cleanup!

Soon after I started using Avast Cleanup Premium and 'optimized' everything including putting all programs to sleep, my Firefox browser stopped working properly.  I could no longer open links in new tabs (every new tab remained blank and the page loading indicator didn't move at all).  Then, when I tried exiting Firefox, all the Firefox processes in the task manager remained active for a whole minute (normally when I exit the browser, the processes disappear almost immediately). 

The weird thing is, Firefox wasn't even in the list of programs that were put to sleep by Avast.  I 'woke up' all the programs there but that didn't fix it.  Only after I removed Avast Cleanup, my browser was back to normal. 
I didn't even get a chance to use other programs before this happened, so I don't know if anything else was affected the same way. 

Anyway, I'm glad I found this thread.  Considering that people were having similar issues with Avast Cleanup from 2017, and it's still breaking things in 2022, I doubt that I will ever try it again.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2022, 05:31:59 PM »
This old thread saved me.  Thank you very much for the suggestion about uninstalling Avast Cleanup!

Soon after I started using Avast Cleanup Premium and 'optimized' everything including putting all programs to sleep, my Firefox browser stopped working properly.  I could no longer open links in new tabs (every new tab remained blank and the page loading indicator didn't move at all).  Then, when I tried exiting Firefox, all the Firefox processes in the task manager remained active for a whole minute (normally when I exit the browser, the processes disappear almost immediately). 

The weird thing is, Firefox wasn't even in the list of programs that were put to sleep by Avast.  I 'woke up' all the programs there but that didn't fix it.  Only after I removed Avast Cleanup, my browser was back to normal. 
I didn't even get a chance to use other programs before this happened, so I don't know if anything else was affected the same way. 

Anyway, I'm glad I found this thread.  Considering that people were having similar issues with Avast Cleanup from 2017, and it's still breaking things in 2022, I doubt that I will ever try it again.

Hi,

First of all let me sincerely apologize for all troubles associated with usage of our product.
This is not intentional behavior.

Thank you for describing your problem, I assume that since you already uninstalled our product you do not use it anymore, correct? If you would be willing to give it another try I would like to ask you to provide us with more data if you will induce the same problem again so we can fix it as the truth is that you are the first person after a long time who experienced such an issue.

We replaced our previous log collector tool with the official Avast Support Tool which is more or less the same however just to make sure here is the process:
  • Open Driver Updater - Menu - Settings - Troubleshooting
  • Click "Open Support Tool" button at the top
  • Confirm the Windows User Access Control dialog to start the tool
  • After the initial check click "Next"
  • Fill in your email address so we can contact you afterwards if necessary
  • Click "Generate" button to start the process
  • When everything is finished, send me the code displayed in the final screen (see the attached picture) so we can find the right package associated with it

Thank you for your cooperation!