Author Topic: Avast seems to be blocked, now most other programs won't run.  (Read 1329 times)

REDACTED

Avast seems to be blocked, now most other programs won't run.
« on: November 23, 2017, 06:08:13 AM »
This started with noticing that Avast On-Line protection was greyed out in any of my browsers (Firefox primary). I tried to contact Avast through the Dashboard, but it would not connect. I ran the Boot scan, and it suggested I download additional definitions, but it would not connect. Yesterday I started the computer and received "Windows Explorer is not responding". I waited for self-repair, about 30 minutes later the screen came back. However, I could not run any programs, could not run Avast scan, nor MBAM. Additionally, I was given a message that my "Z" drive, a 1 Terabyte external needed to be formatted. I immediately shut down and am here. What can I do? I cannot connect to any help from my machine at home and am writing this from work.

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast seems to be blocked, now most other programs won't run.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 09:32:33 AM »
hey and welcome to the forum to the windows explorer error you got this youtube video might fix that for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQM_uHI4epo

second that 1 terabite external drive you have at z what do you have on that one?

have you been able to boot into windows before with that z drive pluged in? you could try to unplug that driver and see if you can boot into windows agian

thirdly i would suggest you follow this guide and let a malware expert have a look at your system just in case it could be malware related

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=194892.0

follow the guid and post the logs from mabm, and frst with addation file the two important ones.

good luck
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

REDACTED

Re: Avast seems to be blocked, now most other programs won't run.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 06:09:25 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I don't know why I didn't try unplugging the Z drive, but I got Windows working again. However, I still cannot connect to Avast through the Dashboard or my browsers. I was able to scan, but nothing was found. I wonder if there is something in the Host file. I took a look, one set of entries seems out of place. Can this file be edited? I know that in the past I have done so, but it was a long time ago and I now don't remember what procedure I used. I'll try the other things next.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801