Author Topic: Dont use Internet Explorer?  (Read 8085 times)

Seb2

Dont use Internet Explorer?
« on: May 13, 2006, 06:43:13 PM »
I dont want IE to have access to the web, and always block it in my firewall (use Firefox instead).
Now a problem has arised since I installed Avast (which seems to work great, except I think it doesn't scan archivefiles for some reason....maybe have to pay for pro), IE gets through my firewall. I guess this is cause the browsers connect through some local Avast-proxy/filtering-mechanism and since Avast is allowed online so is IE and I loose all control over it.

Is there any way I can disconnect IE from this filtering proxy thing, or are there some way to block it in Avast instead?

Many thanks :)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Dont use Internet Explorer?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 06:56:04 PM »
Avast has no control over any of your browsers, all it does is filter traffic for nasties.  Avast will scan archives you can set when you do your scan

Seb2

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 07:35:31 PM »
Avast has no control over any of your browsers, all it does is filter traffic for nasties.  Avast will scan archives you can set when you do your scan
Well, even if I remove the IE-rule from my Sygate Firewall I have use the last two years or so, it goes online without asking. So something makes IE go out undetected, and my guess is that Avast has something to do with it. Dont you think?

Haven't seen any settings for compressed files :(

Seb2

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 07:38:57 PM »
I'm pretty sure I'm right (and you are wrong ;)). A look in Sygates traffic log says its Avast who goes online when I open IE. To be precise, it says "ashWebSv.exe" is visiting www.microsoft.com (startsite in IE).

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 07:49:02 PM »
ASHWEB is the webshield monitor it is monitoring IE it is not starting it, IE is going to windows update and webshield follows . It can't start its own instance of IE.  When you open the main scannining interface, when you select the disc to scan a pop up shows where you can tick to scan archives

Seb2

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 07:58:52 PM »
Thanks, didn't see that small option before :)

BUT, what about Internet Explorer? Now that Avast is installed it just goes through my firewall, which just says Avast is going online.
Isn't it likt that for everyone else in here? Try blocking IE in your firewall and see what happens....

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 08:02:13 PM »
Avast does not use any browser except when you tell it to i.e get other skins etc. Otherwise all it does is scan your web traffic.  When you delete the rule from your firewall and IE asks for permission what programme instigated it

Seb2

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 08:06:30 PM »
Avast does not use any browser except when you tell it to i.e get other skins etc. Otherwise all it does is scan your web traffic.  When you delete the rule from your firewall and IE asks for permission what programme instigated it
IE dont ask for anything, it just goes online and the log in Avast says its Avast itself going online....like its hiding IE some way.
Stopping the web shield in Avast (dont know how to restart it now again lol) makes it all work again....IE asks and I press block, but as soon as Avast webshield is up again I'm sure it will be as before again, it goes through undetected :(

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 08:06:53 PM »
This is a known flaw in the Sygate firewall (localhost loopback), it can't identify what program is using a localhost proxy, all it see is the proxy and if that is allowed it doesn't prevent programs using the proxy.

How to disable transparent web shield proxy and allow only those browsers you want use it:
In avast! go to Web Shield provider, Customize..., Basic tab, blank the redirected HTTP port field (remove the 80). Now no browser can use webshield unless you manually configure it to use Web Shield.

For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For IE - dialup users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE (Dial-up)
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox

Since Sygate is also an abandoned firewall now Symantec have bought it out and with this flaw it may be tinw to consider another firewall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Seb2

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 08:11:25 PM »
This is a known flaw in the Sygate firewall (localhost loopback), it can't identify what program is using a localhost proxy, all it see is the proxy and if that is allowed it doesn't prevent programs using the proxy.

How to disable transparent web shield proxy and allow only those browsers you want use it:
In avast! go to Web Shield provider, Customize..., Basic tab, blank the redirected HTTP port field (remove the 80). Now no browser can use webshield unless you manually configure it to use Web Shield.

For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For IE - dialup users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE (Dial-up)
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox

Since Sygate is also an abandoned firewall now Symantec have bought it out and with this flaw it may be tinw to consider another firewall.
Ok, thanks a lot for the help. So this way I can disable the automatic proxything and set it manually instead :)
Feels like I should put some other port instead of 80 there, but I just delete it as you said then and read up on how to set it up for Firefox.

I thought my Sygate was very good, but maybe its not anymore. Any idea of what free firewall to switch to? If its needed that is, its not like you need updated definitions in a firewall....

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2006, 08:23:09 PM »
Zone Alarm and Kerio are the 2 usual suspects

Seb2

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2006, 08:27:20 PM »
Hmm...I know there was some old reason I choosed sygate and not zonealarm a few years ago...maybe it was some issue with my Norton Antivirus, or it was some lacking feature.
I'll have to read up on Zonealarm again.

Thanks a lot for the help guys :)

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2006, 08:34:56 PM »
But that still doesn't answer the question as to why IE starts itself.  There is something on your system that is starting IE, when it starts webshield will monitor the traffic, but that still doesn't narrow down what the culprit programme is.  I have just removed IE from my firewall permission list.  Now to post this missive I must let it access the net again 

Seb2

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2006, 08:51:33 PM »
But that still doesn't answer the question as to why IE starts itself.  There is something on your system that is starting IE, when it starts webshield will monitor the traffic, but that still doesn't narrow down what the culprit programme is.  I have just removed IE from my firewall permission list.  Now to post this missive I must let it access the net again 
Well IE doesn't start by itself.
Anyway its already been explained in here, its my Sygate firewall that cant differ the two browsers, instead it just sees the Avast proxy as one single app.
I assure you nothing is starting IE without my permission....that would scare the hell out of me :D

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2006, 09:02:08 PM »
Hmm...I know there was some old reason I choosed sygate and not zonealarm a few years ago...maybe it was some issue with my Norton Antivirus, or it was some lacking feature.
I'll have to read up on Zonealarm again.

Thanks a lot for the help guys :)
Glad we could help.

Zone Alarm free http://www.zonelabs.com works fine with avast and has a reasonably friendly user interface. There are others, Comodo, Jetico, Sunbelt Kerio, etc.
See some firewall tests for comparison, some are freeware but many are paid for versions http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.php.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security