Author Topic: Dont use Internet Explorer?  (Read 8094 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Dont use Internet Explorer?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2006, 09:13:16 PM »
But that still doesn't answer the question as to why IE starts itself. 
:
:
I have just removed IE from my firewall permission list.  Now to post this missive I must let it access the net again 
There are some links that can actually force IE to be used as the browser, some specify IE rather than the default browser, which is often why it happens. There were links in avast that opened IE if you clicked on them and we asked for those to point to the default browser rather than IE, but there are many other programs with the same issue.

For instance open the avast help file, the Technical Support page and click on the avast forums link or the FAQ offline page, click the FAQ link and those for me opens IE (spit) even when Firefox is open. This is a real pain, in the rear, given the many security issues with IE and the fact that avast is meant to be securing my system ;D not giving malware a chance by using IE.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Seb2

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2006, 09:21:41 PM »
Yeah but with a proper firewall (from what I understood at least) it will work as it should, blocking IE in the firewall if you have set it to do so.
Gonna switch to Zonealarm soon I think....

Seb2

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2006, 08:25:57 AM »
I'm staying with my "old" free Sygate Firewall anyway. Turned off the automatic proxy and entered the portnumber and stuff in Firefox and now it works. Firefox goes through the proxy (can verify it by looking at firewall logfiles) and IE is outside it all and gets blocked by firewall as I wanted.
Not very hard to fix :)

Heard some bad stuff about Zonealarm so I'm staying with what I got, even though it has this "proxy-bug" not differentiating (is that a word?) between IE and Firefox through the proxy.

Heard Zonealarm slows traffic down and lacks lots of features...and people on a bunch of forums seem to prefer Sygate.

por100pre1

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2006, 01:46:11 PM »
I was using Sygate's last version and I configured my firewalls to use WebShield proxy, everything was fine. But ended up switching to ZoneAlarm Free after some BSOD issues after hibernations with Sygate. I haven't encountered those issues anymore, I really recommend you to try ZoneAlarm Free.

Anyway is good idea to configure your browsers manualy:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=21028.0
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 01:49:01 PM by por100pre1 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2006, 01:58:52 PM »
There are other firewalls than ZA as I mentioned and the link to the firewall leak tests, shows a number of alternatives that do well in those tests (ZA free does less well than the ZA Pro version). I don't think I would like to entrust my security to a firewall that isn't being developed any more, the people trying to exploit firewalls haven't been bought out by Symantec and thrown away.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Seb2

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2006, 02:42:17 PM »
There are other firewalls than ZA as I mentioned and the link to the firewall leak tests, shows a number of alternatives that do well in those tests (ZA free does less well than the ZA Pro version). I don't think I would like to entrust my security to a firewall that isn't being developed any more, the people trying to exploit firewalls haven't been bought out by Symantec and thrown away.
Oh, ok, I just got the impression that Zonealarm is the largest one that most people use (free version). Maybe there are other free ones that do better.
I'll check into it in the future. For now it feels Sygate works well, and I'm behind a router and I hope Avast and Adaware helps finds some stuff too.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2006, 07:19:19 PM »
 :)  Hi Seb2 :

As a Sygate Personal 5.6 Firewall User, I recommend you
      read the "Setup Guide" by "Jarmo", who advises at times
      on the "unofficial" Sygate forums. The "Guide" is at :
      www.kotiposti.net/string/SPF_eng/SPFGuide.html .
      However, I use IE ( feel perfectly safe ) & no proxy . If
      push came to shove, I feel Jarmo and/or his "associates"
      could answer the types of questions you have been
      asking .