Author Topic: Why is Avast Service using the CPU constantly  (Read 22626 times)

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
Re: Why is Avast Service using the CPU constantly
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 11:11:28 AM »
I am also experiencing large CPU usage by Avast - it says it is the Behaviour Shield which is constantly using around 50% of CPU, even when I am doing nothing else. I am new to these things so tell me what info I need to provide.
Version is 17.8.2318 (Build 17.8.3705.249)
Running Windows 10. Browser is Chrome
Active Subscription to Avast Internet Security
Paddy
Must be different case, because behavior shield has its own process aswidsagent.exe. Can you please dump the the process?

Offline paddy_bowen

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 12:29:17 PM »
I am happy to do so - but please explain how and what to do with the dump!

Offline paddy_bowen

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 01:57:12 PM »
I have worked out how to do the dump and checked I have Administrator access, but when I try I get an "Access denied" message. From previous posts I suspect I have to turn off "Self-defense" but how/where do I do that?

Offline paddy_bowen

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 02:56:12 PM »
OK - I finally managed to work out how to turn off self-defence and have created and uploaded the dump as requested under name paddy_bowen.rar and following your instructions on passwords etc.
LMK if you need more - Avast Behaviour Shield is still using around 50% CPU and affecting other applications on my laptop.

Offline paddy_bowen

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2017, 04:19:39 PM »
As it looks like no one will be looking at this again until Monday I have tried a few other things, the results of which may be useful:

1. I tried turning off Behaviour Shield. Interestingly this made no difference to the CPU usage for the process UNTIL I restarted the laptop.
2. After restart, CPU usage was down to around 0.5% - very acceptable.
3. I turned Behaviour shield back on and CPU usage did not change. Concerned that the turn on would not take effect until I restarted, I did that.
4. After restart CPU was still under 1%. I selectively started other Apps - Chrome, Windows Media Player and File Manager are the three I use most. None of these had any effect on the CPU usage of Behaviour Shield.

So at present I am back down to sensible levels - I will report again if this changes.