Author Topic: Avast Passwords Script Extension issues  (Read 16071 times)

REDACTED

Avast Passwords Script Extension issues
« on: November 29, 2017, 01:11:57 AM »
Just installed Avast Passwords Avast Pro Antivirus.
I use Firefox and is all good except for now when using my primary online bookkeeping software it will hang for a 10-15 seconds a couple of times a minute and display a error message across the top of the browser window saying "A Script in the extension "Avast Passwords" is causing Firefox to slow down." and displays 3 button options: "Temporarily disable extension on page", "Stop it" & "Wait"  -  I've tried all three of these options at various times but they are all temporary fixes i.e. the page unfreezes for a few seconds and then the error returns. Help?

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
Re: Avast Passwords Script Extension issues
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 11:42:46 AM »
We are aware of this issue and we are trying to fix it.
Could you please post pages this happens on. We know a few facebook included but bigger sample could help us find out optimal solution for all cases.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 08:47:11 PM »
It's happened for me on a wide variety of pages.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 07:45:54 AM »
We are aware of this issue and we are trying to fix it.
Could you please post pages this happens on. We know a few facebook included but bigger sample could help us find out optimal solution for all cases.
Hi Martin, here's an example from the German section.
http://bulksell.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SingleList&&DraftURL=http://my.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyEbayBeta&currentpage=MyeBayNextSavedDrafts
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 12:50:49 PM »
Hi  I have the same issue, and it is on almost all homepages, only a few show message about script, pc is slowed down to almost a crawl.
I have opened several support requests, one with picture of script error on honepage, but Avast does not answer any of them, very frustrating.

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 02:40:37 PM »
That is odd that you haven't got any reply from support. I will ask our support why they are not forwarding such complaints to us. Anyway we are aware of this and we are working hard to fix it. It is fair to note that it is bit late as before Firefox started blaming us we knew the problem is there, but we were not able measure how big the impact is. Now we know the impact is big so it now has got focus it deserves. I hope that we will fix it very soon, but yet we are still analysing root cause.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 03:43:36 PM »
Hi It is extremely fustrating, I can only contact support via homepage you know Support request, I cant find any email adress to them and I cant see in my profile that they have recieved any support requests, I seem to recall that it was possible to write to them directly in the old days and see in my profile that I had a support request waiting.
Only in one instance I got a number that they had allocated to my question and that was 05698090

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 08:40:57 AM »
Hi It is extremely fustrating, I can only contact support via homepage you know Support request, I cant find any email adress to them and I cant see in my profile that they have recieved any support requests, I seem to recall that it was possible to write to them directly in the old days and see in my profile that I had a support request waiting.
Only in one instance I got a number that they had allocated to my question and that was 05698090
I have asked support and they told me that your request is in the queue of not yet processed requests.
Anyway we know about this issue and we are doing our best to sort it out. Hopefully this week we will release extension update which should fix this issue. I will update this thread once we roll it out so you can update your extensions right after fix is ready on update server.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 05:52:35 PM »
Hi Martin
Got an answer from support today, basicly saying - just reinstall that might help -  the problem is kind of solved (not) because after solving an Ebay issue where I had to delete my browser history my paid version of Passwords stopped working (the free version of Passwords stopped working a long time ago) so now there is no issue with script stopping homepages, but now I have to type all of my passwords everytime needed because they are gone from Firefox.

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 08:31:58 AM »
Hi Martin
Got an answer from support today, basicly saying - just reinstall that might help -  the problem is kind of solved (not) because after solving an Ebay issue where I had to delete my browser history my paid version of Passwords stopped working (the free version of Passwords stopped working a long time ago) so now there is no issue with script stopping homepages, but now I have to type all of my passwords everytime needed because they are gone from Firefox.
To get that working you need pair extension with avast passwords again, you need to go to Avast->Settings->Passwords and hit Install extension to Firefox again. That will open tab in Firefox with activation/installation page. The extension, if present in the browser, should recognize this tab and initiate pairing (exchanging security token) with main application which is used for application to extension communication encryption.
Note that reinstall will not help in most cases users are having troubles with avast passwords. I have told them (to our support) multiple times that this general treatment - reinstall - is not valid for us and could lead to even worse situations if it is done without proper analysis of current customer's case. I will talk to them again. Sorry for inconvenience caused by wrong advise from our front line support.
We still work on fixing original issue and my assumption - we could get it this week, is now showing as less probable. We still have 3 working days remaining but I'm bit sceptic about fix to be release this week at this moment. I'm sorry for that, we know this situation is not good especially with respect to the fact it affects shopping sites (not only) in busiest shopping time of the year. 

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 04:28:51 PM »
Hi Martin
Thank you for your answer, it is nice that someone at Avast is answering and know what is going on, please tell them that it would be nice that when you open a support request if they then would send a confirmation email so one know that they have recieved ones request (as in the old days)
I paired it with Firefox again and then it works again. (with some homepages not working)
I did not follow supports answer that I should just reinstall, as there was no need to because Passwords are working but having issues.
This is a homepage where it is having issues with  :  https://www.hoffmann-group.com

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 04:45:24 PM »
I have this same issue and the only thing that fixes it is disabling Avast Passwords, which I would rather not do. The issue was worse before updating to the current version of Firefox (57.0.2) but it still happens on some pages. It always happens on zulily.com, not on the main page, but on any category page such as this one:

https://www.zulily.com/e/soccer-picks-that-score-toddler-and-up-269811.html

In most cases, I can click on Stop the script and it loads normally but there have been cases when the page just never loaded fully or normally.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 11:00:01 PM »
Another site this happens on is freshdirect.com

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 10:08:02 AM »
Another site this happens on is freshdirect.com

Thanks for the report, we are very close to have fix available for testing so it may get fixed very soon, stay tuned. I will post the update once the fix is released.

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 10:30:28 AM »
We have released fix of our extensions yesterday. You should get this update automatically. During the investigation of the root cause we have found also other parts in code which could be optimized with respect to performance and we have put them to our back log so we will address them later.

Our current version is now about 100 times faster than it was before the fix so especially for complex sites you should have noticeable better experience. The remaining work will not have such significant impact on performance as what we have fixed and released just now.

If you have latest version and you still see negative impact on page performance, please report it to me so we can address the issue sooner than Firefox starts blaming us from slowing down web page processing.

The version containing the fix is 1.1.3258