Author Topic: Do I really need a firewall for my Windows 98?  (Read 3214 times)

stwils

Do I really need a firewall for my Windows 98?
« on: June 30, 2006, 09:16:43 PM »
I have a Dell 2000 desktop Windows 98 with an expired Norton AV 2002 on it. (The last virus definition was in May 2006.) It NEVER included a firewall.

I was hoping to put avast on it along with Zone Alarm. But it seems ZA is jumping ship on Windows 98.

Do you think I would be all right with just avast AV? (I do have Spy Sweeper and adaware.)

Since I have gotten along all right since 2000 without a firewall, what do you think?

stwils

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Do I really need a firewall for my Windows 98?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 09:25:56 PM »
I won't use a connected computer without a firewall...
You can try Kerio or Sygate or Outpost (three have free versions).
If you're low on resources, you can use just the on-demmand (non-resident) scanning for Spy Sweeper and Adaware.

Oh, unistall NAV and be sure you follow the Symantec webpage info to remove all files and trash left behind...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 10:34:43 PM »
You definitely need a firewall:
There are others, Comodo, Jetico, Sunbelt Kerio, etc.
See some firewall tests for comparison, some are freeware but many are paid for versions http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.php. Also see http://www.thefreecountry.com/security/firewalls.shtml

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.

Manual Removal NAV 2003 or earlier - Manual Removal NAV 2003 or earlier
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

JerryM

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 11:11:31 PM »
I use LooknStop on one computer, but it is not free. On the laptop I use Kerio 2.1.5. It is free and I think can be found, although not supported. I have used it off and on for several years without problems.

There are some newer ones that are free as David mentioned. I read good things about Comodo, and I think it is still free. David and others here can give you better information, but I would not be without a firewall.

Best,
Jerry

hlecter

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 06:12:31 PM »
I have a Dell 2000 desktop Windows 98 with an expired Norton AV 2002 on it. (The last virus definition was in May 2006.) It NEVER included a firewall.

I was hoping to put avast on it along with Zone Alarm. But it seems ZA is jumping ship on Windows 98.

Do you think I would be all right with just avast AV? (I do have Spy Sweeper and adaware.)

Since I have gotten along all right since 2000 without a firewall, what do you think?

stwils

Hi stwils,

Yes, you do need a firewall on your 98 box...
But why use the newest version of ZA. I use an old version on my 98 box.
Anyway, much better than no firewall.  :)

Regards
hlecter

Edit:spelling (as usual.)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 06:16:31 PM by hlecter »