Author Topic: problems with windows XP and log in!  (Read 3092 times)

Omar

problems with windows XP and log in!
« on: May 19, 2006, 10:31:41 AM »
Yesterday I had to reload my entire computer system.

Now I have this annoying problem. In order to get to the desk top, a username and password box appears.

The username box, already has a user in it. There is no password so I just click ok, and I reach the desk top.

How can I stop this stupid username thing from appearing in the first place, I want to get straight to the desk top!

I have gone into control pannel>user accounts and made sure that the option to use the welcome screen has been deselected!

I am using XP home

Please help!

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: problems with windows XP and log in!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 12:23:16 PM »
DO NOT klick OK.

Leave that user name in, and leave that password field empty. Then just simply press CANCEL (not OK) and if everything is ok, you should never ever see that password request unless you specify differently inside Windows Control Panel.

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Omar

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 03:57:07 PM »
I cannot click on cancel becuase it is faded out :'(

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 04:06:00 PM »
Huh... I've never seen anything like that... but anyway...

Do this, but be careful. DO NOT touch anything else inside that window because you can just give yourself some more headaches:

Select Run from the Start Menu, type control userpasswords2, exactly as I wrote it here... and click OK.
When window appears on the screen, spot the top checkbox. Uncheck it, means Turn off the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option, and click OK

Restart your system.

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Omar

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 04:28:25 PM »
Huh... I've never seen anything like that... but anyway...

Do this, but be careful. DO NOT touch anything else inside that window because you can just give yourself some more headaches:

Select Run from the Start Menu, type control userpasswords2, exactly as I wrote it here... and click OK.
When window appears on the screen, spot the top checkbox. Uncheck it, means Turn off the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option, and click OK

Restart your system.

Cheers !

I forgot to say from the start that I reloaded my computer the 1st time and I was getting the username and password box.

So I did a google search about this problem and found what you have suggested ie:

Restart your system.

This time I got a error message upon restart. I got this error message when I got to the username/password box stage, basically I could not log in at all. I cannot remember the error message.

So I had to reload my computer for a 2nd time!

So that is where I am up to.

Do you still want me to carry out your last instructions?

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 05:11:58 PM »
I am affraid I don't understand you this time...

What was the error message ? Did you follow those instructions exactly as I wrote up there ?

You said you had to "reload" your computer for the second time... and now you are asking me if you should follow those instructions. How can you follow them if you already reinstalled your Windows ? (I assume you meant "reinstalled Windows" when you said "reloaded").

If you already reinstalled your Windows for the second time, why not simply going into your log-in screen and click CANCEL button (not OK button). It is never grayed out on first log-in.

Those instructions I gave you didn't cause your error message to appear. It is a well known method for disabling of log-in screens, it is not some kind of "third-party-trick". Take a look in here:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article04-103
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 05:13:29 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Omar

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 06:31:47 PM »
Windows XP version of TweakUI.

I installed that and it has now resolved the problem!

Thanks for the help!

sorry for sound confusing :-[