Author Topic: Avast free does not give the option to renew... again  (Read 6247 times)

REDACTED

Avast free does not give the option to renew... again
« on: December 03, 2017, 02:22:59 PM »
Hi there My name is Jeen
As I understand, this is a bug that has been an issue before, and I don't find it to be coincidental that the timing was soon after I installed the latest update. I have used avast for several years, but I have never encountered this myself. I have only seen it encountered by others in forums years ago.

It's that time of year again when it's time for another renewal of the free version, only this time, it does not give me the option to do so. I receive two popups when I try to renew. The first offers me a loyalty discount on the premium version with no option to decline or stay with the free version, so I "x" it. Then, the second pops up with an offer for free 30 days of the premium version, with no option to decline or stay with the free version, so I "x" it, too. Then it takes me back to the main screen. Fortunately, I have the ability to use my other computer until another update comes out to fix it, but others are not so lucky ทางเข้าufabet

I am looking for two things: (1) a solution specific to this problem if there is one and (2) to bring this to Avast's attention so they can fix it like they have done before ufabet

Yes, my subscription is for a year and is the actual free version, not a free trial of the premium version. Yes, I have completed all the usual troubleshooting steps. I'm looking for real answers here, not patronizing "have you tried turning it off and on" type responses. Replies like that will not receive a response from me. But I am more interested in Avast themselves being made aware of this so it can be fixed again.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast free does not give the option to renew... again
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 11:40:37 PM »
The program will state that the free license is expired BUT actually you are still protected.

You can call it what you like (marketing) but after 14 days of license expiration, it should auto renew.

I do believe a clean install will reset the registration but I'm not sure on that one.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 12:59:40 AM »
The program will state that the free license is expired BUT actually you are still protected.

You can call it what you like (marketing) but after 14 days of license expiration, it should auto renew.

I do believe a clean install will reset the registration but I'm not sure on that one.

This is borderline deceptive.  Avast are saying registration for the free version of avast, yet we are still getting users told that avast registration has expired.  Why should they have to wait 14 days for it to automatically renew if registration is no longer required.

If avast free registration is truly ended, why is there a need to register it at all on installation and annually after that, it doesn't make sense. 

This just confuses users.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 01:33:02 AM »

Why should they have to wait 14 days for it to automatically renew if registration is no longer required.

If avast free registration is truly ended, why is there a need to register it at all on installation and annually after that, it doesn't make sense. 

This just confuses users.

The answer is simple - marketing and sales teams.

Some users will upgrade to premium versions when clicking "register".
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 01:41:51 AM by Alikhan »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 02:19:23 AM »
I know it is simple, but it is also deceptive, once deceived they are hardly going to be happy users when they have been tricked into paying when they thought they were getting a free antivirus.  We see lots of unhappy users coming to the forums to seek help in getting a refund and they certainly aren't going to be promoting Avast.

Avast was essentially built up on word of mouth promotion to friends, family, etc. this is the best and most effective form of advertising.  This however can be a double edged sword.

If avast free isn't truly free and if registration hasn't been completely removed, then it is lying
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Patrick2

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 05:28:45 AM »
Agrees that is borderline Deceptive and Family members using it will be contacting there support people whether Family or non family to find out whats going on.   What happened to it auto renewing immediately after it expired, if folks wanted to upgrade from Free edition they would i do believe, word of mouth advertisting is what got me using Avast Free way back in 4.7 days.   I know developers need to make money, but this type of deception might be a bad sword type thing

Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 18363.476, Intel I7 7700 Nvidia Geforce 1050 16gb DDR4, WD 250GBSSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393
HP Omen Laptop Intel I7 7700HQ, 8gb Of Ram Windows 10 Home x64 1909 18363.476 128GB SSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 03:16:17 PM »
Reported to Avast. This gives a clearer insight into the problem:
http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cbXU2Q2yr5
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 03:25:31 PM »
I've already escalated this to the Avast team in the past and I personally doubt this behaviour will change. I think the devs are restricted here to the higher orders..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 05:06:50 PM »
I've already escalated this to the Avast team in the past and I personally doubt this behaviour will change. I think the devs are restricted here to the higher orders..

Interestingly I had a popup asking to take part in a survey along the lines of 'how are we doing' or 'how are you liking avast.'  The short answer was I didn't even take part in the survey, perhaps I should have and given them a piece of my mind. Aggressive, deceptive, misleading marketing (is going to have an adverse impact on avast), ads, scan results in smart scan (and outside of user initiated scans) of components not even installed.

Of course at the time I failed to take a screenshot and since avast have removed the 'Show Last popup message' from the tray icon context menu.  Yet another useful tool has gone the way of many others, consigned to the dustbin and no sign of the modification of the tray icon context menu (promised years ago) to give faster access to areas of the UI.

All of these little things in themselves add up to many hacked off users.

Offline Patrick2

• Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 05:32:21 PM »
I Came over to Avast Free way back in 2006 after being  a tester for Windows Live Onecare, and I guess I did more risky things then as severely infected my old system way back then,  While Avast couldn't clean it at the time,  was a boot sector virus,  something in the bios then as well,  shop ended up having to build me a whole replacement system with slightly lesser specs than original as had no warranty at the time, then again warranty may not have covered it.

Always liked Avast Free for it's protection, speed, and not doing anything bad with system performance either. 

At the time Shop didn't recommend Avast, but I ignored there recommendation to use Symantec Norton as I felt safe with Avast, and to this day still do for all the systems, and Phone as well, sure have to put up with more ads, watching what I click when i boot PC, and when doing scans in order to keep the free version,  it's not about money these days why i stay with free version, i feel i don't need all the Internet Security, Premier and Ultimate versions of Avast features to protect me, and such

Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 18363.476, Intel I7 7700 Nvidia Geforce 1050 16gb DDR4, WD 250GBSSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393
HP Omen Laptop Intel I7 7700HQ, 8gb Of Ram Windows 10 Home x64 1909 18363.476 128GB SSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 06:07:10 PM »
Hi there My name is Jeen
As I understand, this is a bug that has been an issue before, and I don't find it to be coincidental that the timing was soon after I installed the latest update. I have used avast for several years, but I have never encountered this myself. I have only seen it encountered by others in forums years ago.

It's that time of year again when it's time for another renewal of the free version, only this time, it does not give me the option to do so. I receive two popups when I try to renew. The first offers me a loyalty discount on the premium version with no option to decline or stay with the free version, so I "x" it. Then, the second pops up with an offer for free 30 days of the premium version, with no option to decline or stay with the free version, so I "x" it, too. Then it takes me back to the main screen. Fortunately, I have the ability to use my other computer until another update comes out to fix it, but others are not so lucky ทางเข้าufabet

I am looking for two things: (1) a solution specific to this problem if there is one and (2) to bring this to Avast's attention so they can fix it like they have done before ufabet

Hi, could you please make screenshots when it happens again and send them to me? If you go to Settings -> Subscription how many days do you have left?

Yes, my subscription is for a year and is the actual free version, not a free trial of the premium version. Yes, I have completed all the usual troubleshooting steps. I'm looking for real answers here, not patronizing "have you tried turning it off and on" type responses. Replies like that will not receive a response from me. But I am more interested in Avast themselves being made aware of this so it can be fixed again.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:26:29 AM by MartinZ »