Author Topic: Installation nightmare  (Read 4186 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Installation nightmare
« on: May 15, 2006, 09:58:00 PM »
Installation of 4.7.827 is everything but calm  :'(
My system (XP SP2+) is on Portuguese (Brazil).
The following tentatives result in a messed installation:

1. Use of the setupfulpro.exe for English + Portuguese versions.
2. Use of the setupfulpro.exe with just Portuguese.
3. Use of the setupfulpro.exe with just English.
4. Use of the setupengpro.exe for a single English installation.

Repair failed miserabily. Booting does not solve... Using ashclear.exe does not help.
The eight providers are installed, the services are running, I can update but there is no resident protection. The icon is red crossed.
It's impossible to start the residents... The error message is that the residents are not installed !

I can only manage installing setupporpro.exe for single Portuguese and the, on-line, geting the English version.

I was trying to show how good it could be using avast for a friend of mine... failed miserabily.
Oh, fresh Windows install, the antivirus was the first application to be installed. Only Windows updates before  :'(

Something is wrong with translations or with the use of a different language than the operational system. It was never this way.
Hoping the magic survives  :-\
The best things in life are free.

mauserme

Re: Installation nightmare
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 10:56:35 PM »
Does the home version fail too?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 11:06:27 PM »
What exactly did you do? I mean, if you installed English and Portuguese, you couldn't have used English or Portuguese-only installers afterwards...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 02:45:59 AM »
What exactly did you do? I mean, if you installed English and Portuguese, you couldn't have used English or Portuguese-only installers afterwards...
Beetwen one step and another there are uninstalling (Control Panel), boot, ashclear, boot...
I tested all the possibilities and the same result ever: 8 providers installed, 0 running, cannot start them. I've never passed through this before.
Something is different now.
Maybe the fact I was not using the default path but, after all, I was using an account with admin rights and the folder has 'full' control by this user.
What stupidity I've done... I'm curious... It took me two hours  ::)

ardvark

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 11:18:46 AM »
Hi Tech...

You are certainly not alone with having problems with 4.7. I should have stayed as long as possible with 4.6 so the bugs could be ironed out but I took a chance anyway....the result being my dial up connection was completely and totally screwed up to where I had uninstall Avast to get it working correctly.

I have the distinct feeling that 4.7 should have spent a LOT more time in Beta than it did ::)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 01:37:56 PM »
You are certainly not alone with having problems with 4.7. I should have stayed as long as possible with 4.6 so the bugs could be ironed out but I took a chance anyway....
I'm not that sure. I like 4.7 version even with its problems. 4.6 has its problems too. I believe we must go forward and improve the software (taking a longer beta). But I could only discover this making a new installation in a computer of friend of mine. After that, now he has Portuguese and English working. I believe that the problem could be at the access rights of the non-default folder. Although I've looked, tested a lot... everything seems to be ok.
What is most boring is the fact I can't understand what was the problem...

ardvark

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 07:21:23 AM »
Hi Tech...

Well, at least it's working now.... :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 01:37:12 PM »
The problem was not so different than this one:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=display;topic=21171.0

I mean, services and processes running in background, but icon with a red cross and all providers 'disabled' (grayed out).  ::)