Author Topic: Computer won't boot after Avast scan  (Read 3010 times)

REDACTED

Computer won't boot after Avast scan
« on: December 05, 2017, 05:26:17 PM »
Need some help!

Our computer will not boot after running an Avast scan.  7 threats were detected, and moved to the chest.  The program suggested restarting and running a boot scan, so we did.  It has not been able to start since!  A blue screen pops up with "STOP C 0000135 the program can't start because %hs is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Tried all available system restore points, and they have been "damaged or deleted."

Windows Startup Repair cannot repair and says "Root cause - a patch is preventing the system from starting."

HP support says we have to wipe the drives and reinstall everything...really hoping to avoid that if possible. We have everything backed up.

Do not have a system image recovery disk.

Did some online research and ran the FRST Recovery Tool and am attaching the files below.  There's "ATTENTION" pointing to something with Avast, but I'm lost as to what to do from here. 

Offline Avosec-UK

• Avosec Technical Support
  • Avast Reseller
    • Avosec
Re: Computer won't boot after Avast scan
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 02:18:39 PM »
There is a known issue with the Avast Boot-time Scans and the error code you supplied seems to be related.

Have you tried the "Last known good configuration" from the OS's Boot Menu?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 09:10:27 PM »
I saw that option the last time I fired up the computer, and I haven't tried it.  Will try and get back to you.  Thanks for the suggestion.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 09:25:59 PM »
IT WORKED!!!!  I can hardly believe I'm back in to the computer after more than a week!

THANK YOU!!!

It notified me that a system restore had not been completed or was still in progress, I just closed that screen. 

Now, before I restart the computer next time, is there any thing I need to do?  Or should it just remember this configuration and be fine?  I'm going to proceed with much caution!

I truly cannot thank you enough!