Author Topic: Avast Scurity for Mac won't update  (Read 3455 times)

REDACTED

Avast Scurity for Mac won't update
« on: November 27, 2017, 01:30:42 PM »
I'm getting no definition updates since updating to the latest version of Avast.  I'm running 13.1, virus definitions 17111704, with Firefox Quantum (57) and macOS Sierra 10.12.5.  All I get when clicking on "Update" is "An error occurred during updating", and it means it!  Of course I'm used to getting a variety of such erroneous messages such as this but in the past it has successfully updated and given me a confirmatory dialog box to that effect, but now it's not erroneous!  Am I alone?  I've tried switching off any potential interferences that I can identify (inc Hands Off! or Malwarebytes) which might be over-enthusiastic in protecting me, but no change.  Is anyone else having this updating problem?  I'd be grateful.  Thankyou.

Offline drake145

Re: Avast Scurity for Mac won't update
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 02:03:23 PM »
Steve421,

I also experienced this issue Saturday. My way around it was to uninstall and reinstall the program.

I did notice that there was an update 13.2 this morning, so perhaps you could try to update your program and see if the issue persists before attempting a reinstall.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 02:07:30 PM by drake145 »

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 04:16:43 PM »
Thanks drake145.  Yes, I've uninstalled and rteinstalled 3 or 4 times (determined aren't I?!), to no avail. And I've also had a tough job persuading it to uninstall before the reinstallation. Never mind, I think it worked alright.  But, great news, perhaps the new 13.2 program update will do the trick.  Hope is springing eternal! Steve

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 01:45:03 PM »
Nope.  I still can't download definitions, and subject to the same fault, I can't download program updates.  Still in the mire.  I can uninstall again, and reinstall the new version, but that's not practical as a solution.  Any further thoughts anyone?

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 01:46:16 PM »
PS Apologies that I evidently can't spell "Security"  :-\

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 03:21:39 PM »
@steve421 - it's weird. Could you send us more details(logs)? The easiest way is to open "Avast -> Help -> Avast Technical support"

Quality is also a feature.

Offline absmn

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 05:31:52 PM »
Hi Lukas,

I have a similar problem here (macOS 10.13.1).
When I try to install a new program version using the built-in updater, I see the following message:

Connecting to repository http://mac-av.u.avcdn.net/mac-av/10_9/beta/AAFM
Downloading AAFM.lat...
curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
Downloading AAFM.lat... (retry 1)
Downloading AAFM.lat... (retry 2)
Warning: Download failed [exit code 22]
Cannot download. Perhaps we are offline?
Failed.

I'm using the beta channel, so maybe that's the reason why the update to Avast for Mac 13.2 cannot be found?

Update: In my case I can download VPS updates though, thus my problem is different than the one originally posted. I will start a new forum thread.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:55:02 AM by absmn »