Author Topic: What happened to Quick Scan?  (Read 14831 times)

Offline spoony_bard

What happened to Quick Scan?
« on: December 10, 2017, 03:14:15 AM »
Attachment included. Am I missing something or did this just disappear overnight? Why were changes made to the scan menus without it being a version upgrade? It just suddenly changed from what it was yesterday.

I'm using the free edition, W7 Home Premium SP1

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: What happened to Quick Scan?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 09:14:50 AM »
The quick scan has been getting phased out for a while now. It won't be there when v17.9 stable is released. The smart scan will be the quick scan option. That'll effect all editions (Free, internet Security and Premier).

Avast can deliver UI updates through the UI channels without any program update.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline spoony_bard

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 09:32:23 AM »
Thank you for responding.

Is the smart scan virus scan not different from the quick scan? I always assumed they were because the smart scan is over in seconds but the quick scan took several minutes each time.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 10:41:13 AM »
You can always set up a custom scan that fits your needs.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 12:30:36 PM »
The quick scan has been getting phased out for a while now. It won't be there when v17.9 stable is released. The smart scan will be the quick scan option. That'll effect all editions (Free, internet Security and Premier).

Avast can deliver UI updates through the UI channels without any program update.

The problem with Smart Scan is it just doesn't has a big enough scan scope. It just checks memory and few startup entries. And that's it. It doesn't touch Windows folder and user profiles or anything else. Exactly where malware usually hides. I also don't understand the logic behind this decision quite frankly. Quick Scan and Full Scan are what EVERYONE expects to be easily accessible within interface. Who even does selective folder/file scans and USB drive scans from within antivirus? That's what explorer right click context menu option is for, not a big button inside main interface where you need 5 iterations of clicks to even get to. Right click scan is faster and more convenient.

I often question design decisions in avast! and this is AGAIN one of them. avast! is riddled with such nonsense on all ends. Who is making these rather silly decisions? They just don't make any sense and it's hurting avast! more than helping it...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 12:34:36 PM »

The problem with Smart Scan is it just doesn't has a big enough scan scope. It just checks memory and few startup entries. And that's it. It doesn't touch Windows folder and user profiles or anything else. Exactly where malware usually hides. I also don't understand the logic behind this decision quite frankly. Quick Scan and Full Scan are what EVERYONE expects to be easily accessible within interface. Who even does selective folder/file scans and USB drive scans from within antivirus? That's what explorer right click context menu option is for, not a big button inside main interface where you need 5 iterations of clicks to even get to. Right click scan is faster and more convenient.

I often question design decisions in avast! and this is AGAIN one of them. avast! is riddled with such nonsense on all ends. Who is making these rather silly decisions? They just don't make any sense and it's hurting avast! more than helping it...

I completely agree selective folder/file scans and USB drive scans shouldn't be within the anti-virus UI. The smart scan does add many components to the scan (if they are installed).

I doubt they'll change it.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 01:30:56 PM »
I also strongly approve.
It seems that the opinion of the users is the last problem of avast, and that it pleases the developers to make the interface much less intuitive  :-\
I wonder how avast manages to retain his former customers ... but if he does, there is a reason ... that I do not know.

and also, changing the kind of the appearance without changing the version brings much more confusion than help , I have 4 pc with same version , only one has changed this night , other no , even with manual updates and reboots.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 04:00:47 PM by chris05 »

Offline SpockFan94

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 04:13:17 PM »
I didn’t see that coming for today. It was a big mistake for Avast! Free Antivirus. Some of the scans under the Protection tab, such as Quick Scan and Removable media scan has disappeared for some reason. I didn’t screw up with Avast! on my computer every day. I made a custom scan called “Quick Scan” to make it even faster, but it goes very slow for today. I hope “Quick Scan” will appear soon for tomorrow.

Offline Patrick2

• Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 04:59:48 PM »
Yes agree scans are much slower with the updated ui, that some machines have, and some don't, which is really confusing and hard to trouble shoot with In my opinion,  Why all the changes at Avast lately, and just keep the same aspects that long time customers are used to.   
Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 18363.476, Intel I7 7700 Nvidia Geforce 1050 16gb DDR4, WD 250GBSSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393
HP Omen Laptop Intel I7 7700HQ, 8gb Of Ram Windows 10 Home x64 1909 18363.476 128GB SSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 08:46:38 PM »
I'd also like an option back to change or add a scan to the main window of Avast. So instead of Smart Scan I could have Full Scan, or a custom scan there. Years ago this was possible, but then it was removed.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 11:18:02 PM »
I'd also like an option back to change or add a scan to the main window of Avast. So instead of Smart Scan I could have Full Scan, or a custom scan there. Years ago this was possible, but then it was removed.
Nice addition to your Christmas list. Hope you've been a good boy all year. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline spoony_bard

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 02:49:59 AM »

I wouldn't know how. I know that you can make custom scans but don't know where to set it up for. I just had trusted that with the Quick Scan, avast (like with other programs) had identified the most likely problem areas. I ran that often and just did a full scan on occasion or if I suspected there might be an issue.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 08:43:13 AM »
I wouldn't know how. I know that you can make custom scans but don't know where to set it up for. I just had trusted that with the Quick Scan, avast (like with other programs) had identified the most likely problem areas. I ran that often and just did a full scan on occasion or if I suspected there might be an issue.
Wait for one of the guys who still has QS, they could share the exact settings with you/us.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 11:27:06 AM »
I guess, once they fix the settings importing which has been broken for the entire year, I'll be able to make a custom config that has Smart Scan parameters identical to Quick Scan, so it'll at least be useful...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 01:00:25 PM »
Wait for one of the guys who still has QS, they could share the exact settings with you/us.
Or try to do a repair
As far I'm concerned (tried yesterday) the repair had the effect of going back to previous UI ... until new update and reboot  ;)