Author Topic: Not New, but...Not enough user rights to continue?  (Read 4383 times)

NeoJediX

Not New, but...Not enough user rights to continue?
« on: May 10, 2006, 03:42:48 AM »
This seems to be an ongoing problem with no clear solutions as far as I can see in this forum.  I'd like to post it again, in case I missed something.  I ran into this problem helping out on my friends computer.

My situation: I was working on a system with two user accounts.  Both had Administrator privileges.  I ran into the "not enough user rights" error message trying to update the current user (I'll call it user A).  After looking at the forum I changed user A into a Limited account and logged in as the old user (I'll call it user B).  Voila!  I was able to update Avast.

Here's where the problem resurfaces...I wanted to remove user B altogether and install Avast into user A.  Firstly, I logged into user B and I was able to complete uninstall Avast from the system.  I rebooted to finish uninstall.  After restart, logged into user B and changed user A back as Administrator.  I logged out of user B and logged in as user A.  I then deleted user B from the system.  So far so good.   I rebooted for good measure.  Now, with only one user account (user A) as Administrator, I thought I'd have no problems installing Avast...  Well, I was wrong.  I still get the same "not enough user rights" error that I started with originally.  I've noticed that in Regedit that in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ALWIL Software still exists and the system will not let you delete or change permissions for that folder/key.

Suggestions?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Not New, but...Not enough user rights to continue?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 03:52:20 AM »
With only one Administrator account:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation (read http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_uninstall_util.html)
4. Boot
5. Install again by this command on the folder you've donwload and save the install file: setupeng.exe /forceinstall
    Where setupeng.exe is the name of the executable

Indeed, it's not adviceable to have more than one Administrator account. Unfortunatelly, XP does not have the 'old' power user that Windows 2k had. Now, only limited (common) user or Administrator.
In fact, there is some solutions in web to add a second 'user account' applet into the Control Panel. Then you have the 'old' possibility available again.

Indeed, avast does not work well with systems with 2+ Administrator accounts  :'(
The best things in life are free.

NeoJediX

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 04:05:36 AM »
I'm not at the computer now, but I'll give it a try.  Just to be clear, all I have to do is run install with that command (setupeng.exe /forceinstall)?  Alright, can't wait to try it.  Haven't seen that posted anywhere yet.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 04:22:43 AM »
I'm not at the computer now, but I'll give it a try.  Just to be clear, all I have to do is run install with that command (setupeng.exe /forceinstall)?  Alright, can't wait to try it.  Haven't seen that posted anywhere yet.
No... not only this. It won't work with 2 Administrator accounts. It won't work with downgraded Admin accounts to normal users...
This command is just to force the installation NOT the compatibility or other problems.
Indeed, the 'problem' is the second Administrator account... as far I could see...

NeoJediX

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 10:26:40 PM »
There is only one Administrator account.  I deleted the first one remember.  I've also tried installing through Safe Mode, but same problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 11:40:23 PM »
There is only one Administrator account.  I deleted the first one remember.  I've also tried installing through Safe Mode, but same problem.
Does the step 3 (using avast uninstall tool) failed?

NeoJediX

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 11:21:51 PM »
I'm afraid so. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 12:00:54 AM »
Are you using the default installation path?
Are you using the last avast version?
Can you post a screenshot of the access right to avast installation path?

NeoJediX

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 07:54:53 PM »
I'm back on the computer and the problem still exists. 
In regards to your questions:
yes, I'm using the default path
yes, I'm using the lastest version
what do you mean exactly by avast installation path?  Everything is in default.

Alwil Software still exists in the registry and it will not allow itself to be removed/deleted.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 08:15:13 PM »
yes, I'm using the default path
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\

what do you mean exactly by avast installation path?  Everything is in default.
Access rights of that folder, something like the screenshot...