Author Topic: on-access scanner (resident protection) not enabled  (Read 10952 times)

Scoobs

on-access scanner (resident protection) not enabled
« on: May 17, 2006, 03:13:32 PM »
I've just installed avast av and zone alarm firewall (having uninstalled my previous programs) and the blue ball icon has the little red 'no entry' sign on it and says 'avast! On-Access Scanner: 6 provider(s) total, 0 running'. When I right click on 'Start on-access protection' nothing happens. When I right click on 'start avast antivirus' it says resident protection disabled - but when I try to change it nothing happens.

If anyone can help or suggest what I can do I'd be v grateful.
Many thanks
Heather

CharleyO

Re: on-access scanner (resident protection) not enabled
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 04:44:36 AM »

Welcome to the forums, Scoobs.    :)

Please tell us what OS and what the previous av was ... as well as how you uninstalled it.

Scoobs

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 08:20:16 AM »
Thanks Charley.
Previous AV/firewall was Symantec (Norton Security/Antivirus) and I uninstalled it using the uninstall prog on control panel.
My PC is Win98 (yeah I know it's archaic!)
I've also tried going into the 'on-access protection control' and clicking 'start' and it says 'you're trying to change the settings - are you sure' blah blah...when I click 'yes' it won't accept.
Any help gratefully received!
Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 02:52:01 PM »
Thanks Charley.
Previous AV/firewall was Symantec (Norton Security/Antivirus) and I uninstalled it using the uninstall prog on control panel.
After that you must use the Symantec tool for full removal of any file and registry key left behind after the uninstallation...
If you search the Symantec site you'll find it.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 03:20:36 PM »
A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Scoobs

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 02:56:50 PM »
Thanks.

I've now used the Norton unistall tool recommended above and have rebooted but the problem still seems to be the same.

When I go into 'on-access protection control' and press 'start' to try to activate the resident protection modules, it says 'the requested resident task could not be found - the operation could not be completed'.

Any other ideas?
TIA
Scoobs

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 03:56:41 PM »
Now that you have rid yourself of the remnants it may be necessary to uninstall avast, reboot, install and reboot. This should rectify any issues caused by the presence of the remnants, avast if it detects the presence of another AV won't fully install to avoid any potential conflict.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ura19

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 02:43:35 AM »
I have exactly the same problem... Running on Win 98SE with  Zone Alarm v.6

Never used Norton Antivirus, but had KAV. Uninstalled Kaspersky, cleaned up the registry and files.

Uninstalled avast, rebooted, installed again, rebooted. But resident protection still wouldn't enable!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 03:11:10 AM »
But resident protection still wouldn't enable!
But, is ashserv.exe running in background?
Are the avast services running?
I had a similar problem some weeks ago... I had two or three on-demmand scanners and only starting a clean Windows installation, I could not manage to make the residents on.
There is a standalone uninstaller for Kaspersky if I`m remembering right... Did you find it into its webpage?

ura19

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 08:50:05 PM »
I see Ashmaisv and Aswebsv, but not ashserv

I run this uninstaller: downloads1.kaspersky-labs.com/utils/klremover/KAV_Registry_Clean.zip
and also did some manual cleaning. Don't think there is anything  left from KAV now...

Could it be Zone Alarm or something  missing in Win98?

ura19

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 09:21:00 PM »
Some updates:

I uninstalled Avast once again, with the "avast! uninstall utility". Then rebooted, installed Avast and rebooted again.

It worked for a while after this install, but then stopped after the second reboot. All I did was some customizations to the "providers".

Either avast doesn't like my machine or there's something really wrong...  ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 11:26:34 PM »
ashserv.exe is the standard shield resident provider... it is 'the' antivirus heart... it should be running.
Besides KAV, did you use any other antivirus in the past? Are you using other security programs and specially WinPatrol, PrevX, ProcessGuard, etc.?

ura19

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 06:25:18 PM »
ashserv.exe is the standard shield resident provider... it is 'the' antivirus heart... it should be running.
I guess it is running, since I see it in the tray...

Besides KAV, did you use any other antivirus in the past? Are you using other security programs and specially WinPatrol, PrevX, ProcessGuard, etc.?
Nope, I didn't use any antivirus except KAV since my last windows install. But I'm also using Spybot's Search & Destroy, a spyware remover.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 06:35:35 PM »
I guess it is running, since I see it in the tray...
The tray icon is ashDisp.exe and not ashServ.exe, check task manager to see if it is running.

Nope, I didn't use any antivirus except KAV since my last windows install. But I'm also using Spybot's Search & Destroy, a spyware remover.

Do (or did) you use Kaspersky's anti-hacker tool (or any other Kaspersky products) as this uses the same process names as KAV and could be seen by avast as KAV and not the anti-hacker tool and disable some of the avast processes ?

sikejsudjek

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 11:57:44 PM »
Same here after removing etrust antivirus. Resident scanner won't start until I try a manual update. Otherwise after reboot no protection. ECAR virus fails.