Author Topic: Schedule Scan Issue  (Read 3522 times)

Offline WiFiNodE

Schedule Scan Issue
« on: December 12, 2017, 08:12:28 AM »
Hi there,

My Avast Free Antivirus version is 17.8.2318.

I'm having problem when review is there any schedule scan setup previously and modify accordingly.

I am looking at the Protection > Scan History and found out that there is a schedule scan with name "Quick Scan", probably left over from an older version. In the Notifications section, Scheduled Quick Scan completed every 5 days.
But i couldn't find any scheduled scan from "Custom Scans" section, it show No Custom Scans.

How could I delete the older schedule scan and add a new one without interfere with each other?

Thanks in advance.

REDACTED

Re: Schedule Scan Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 06:09:55 AM »
Great question.. they removed the interface and gave no option to access the schedule so I now have a scheduled quick scan that runs that I am unable to stop
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 07:01:44 AM by dlp69 »

Offline janetofficeworker

Re: Schedule Scan Issue; Custom Scan No Longer Works
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 03:17:50 AM »
Avast Forum:

I just now recognized a familiar pattern in your newly released redesigned UI, 17.8.3705.249.  So far, it has been following the same sequence of events that your most recent Avast UI was forced to experience.  Perhaps you require all your Avast iterations (and your users) to go through some sort of initiation process – an obligatory set of rituals.  Here’s what I’ve observed:  We are presented with a new UI and its associated programs.  The programs work, but are also flawed.  For instance, we can schedule scans (Quick or Custom or something else), but after several days of success, they suddenly fail, and no longer run automatically as scheduled – they must be activated manually on a same-day basis, day-by-day.  We report these failures a few times in your forum (and perhaps also via individualized messaging), then we’re finally told that the issues are known and a fix will appear in the next build or release or whatever corporate-preferred label.  At last, an update arrives, and the Quick or Custom or whatever scan now runs as scheduled.  Unfortunately, there’s something wrong; although the scan runs, an important scan feature fails us or in some way malfunctions.  Usually, the failure may be considered trivial or to be nothing more than slightly inconvenient – e.g., the icons or progress indicators don’t behave as they otherwise should or don’t appear at all.  We report these annoyances a few times, then finally we’re told that the issues are known, and a fix will appear in the next build or release or . . . whatever it’s called.   After a few months, the fix is finally evident, and the whole scan works for a while, then two or three days later, for some reason, it collapses or backtracks to its earlier flawed status – progress indicators gone, for instance.  We shrug, occasionally find a workaround (“Guess I’ll have to start it myself”), and await another updated version, hoping that this time the whole program will run, all its features intact and responsive and functioning without our intervention, and we will no longer have to monitor programs scheduled to automatically scan our laptops on a pre-determined day and time. 

The above passage details my Avast Free Antivirus experience so far.  My experience is summarized as thus (although somewhat repetitively, just in case . . . [heh – sorry]): Your most recent past version’s Quick Scan wouldn’t run automatically as scheduled, then it was fixed, except that its progress indicators no longer appeared without manual intervention.  Days or so later, that particular QS scan progress feature was fixed, but then your updated newly designed UI was released, with Quick Scans eliminated and replaced by a Custom Scan option.  Seeing the change, I then scheduled daily scans using your new Custom Scan program.  The Custom Scan ran twice, but no progress indicators were displayed at all.  I reported the progress indicator problem to your forum and awaited a reply or fix.  Today, the scheduled Custom scan completely failed – it didn’t run at all.  I verified that it wasn’t running by checking the UI’s Custom Scan tile, and the Scan History record.  Seeing it was indeed immobile and hadn’t worked, I activated it manually as its menu allows, and it ran – but minus the progress indication icon or box.  Oh well, at least a manually activated scan is possible.  Of course, now, based on my observations, I’ve anticipated what may be next in my Avast interactions.  Next, I’ll probably be told that the CS scanning failure is a known issue. You’ll then fix the auto-scan problem, except that no in-progress indicators will appear per scan.   Then you’ll correct that particular flaw, and all will be okay for a few days, but after those few days, the program will start to weaken – and a new flaw will emerge.  At this point, you’ll release an entirely new design, and the whole Avast experimental UI process will start again.

Maybe not.  Maybe you’ll simply fix your Custom Scan program, along with whatever developer-approved progress indicator has been chosen (animated task bar icon, or message box, or etc.), so that both scan and in-progress indicator run right on time, and in tandem.  Perhaps, when finally fixed, the repaired Custom Scan and its related features will continue running as scheduled, and won’t regress to an earlier flawed condition, or suddenly quit again altogether. 

Anyhow, I’m mainly writing to request that the Avast tech team:

Please fix your Custom Scan and associated progress indicator(s) – or better yet, please reinstate a fully operational Quick Scan program, animated progress icon or message box included.

Thanks.

Sorry.

--jjb
P.S. I appreciate whatever help can be provided.  Really. ! --j

System Notes:
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, Build 1506, 4 GB RAM
Pre-Avast: Windows 10 Defender (currently disabled via system Group Policy, which is apparently the only WD *elimination* method possible)
HP Compaq Presario CQ50-210US Notebook PC (laptop)
Chrome browser, 63.0.3239.84 (Official Build) (64-bit) (cohort: Stable)
Hardware Acceleration: cleared (disabled)
Avast Free Antivirus, 17.8.3705.249, built for Windows 10
Previous Avast Free Antivirus, 17.8.2318, as of 11/09/2017 (Actually, I may have received a version updated from this one, but if so, I don’t recall – sorry!)
I also tried your Repair program via my Windows control panel – no luck
In addition: I turn my laptop on at 8 a.m. daily, always with electric connection vs. batteries
My scans are scheduled to start each day at 8:28 a.m.

Thanks much. --j

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 03:49:06 PM »
Great question.. they removed the interface and gave no option to access the schedule so I now have a scheduled quick scan that runs that I am unable to stop
You could always open the Windows Task Scheduler.
All tasks can be accessed and killed from here. You can even use this tool to start your own. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 11:01:55 PM »
There are no avast scan schedules in the windows task scheduler which is probably also why avast schedules hadn't worked for years.  I just reinstalled avast to get rid of their goof
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 11:05:02 PM by dlp69 »

Re: Schedule Scan Issue; CS No Longer Works - UPDATE
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 11:31:00 PM »
Forum:

I've luckily skipped one problem-solving phase ("known issue" notification), and am now happily at the major improvement section: the central CS malfunction has apparently been fixed, at least for today (and after, I might add, last night's Window 10 update. hmm).  So, yay, my Custom Scan ran as scheduled this a.m.  Great!  Thanks very much.  However, I'm now at problem-solving Phase Two, the usual secondary flaw: Please fix your Custom Scan progress indicator mechanism.  To check my Custom scan's progress (as of 12/16), I currently must first open the UI, which I can then minimize to provide myself with continual scanning status as needed.  I'm hoping that the Custom Scan (or reinstated Quick Scan, which was much faster) will soon include a fully functioning, automatically activated, progress indicator (message box or animated icon or similar mechanism). 

Thanks again.  Sorry. 

Happy day, etc. to all of you out there. 

--jjb

Scanning Issues, Latest Report: Progress Indicator Now fix.Fixed
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 07:44:40 AM »
re: updated version 17.9.3761.0

Avast Team:

Thank you, thank you, thank you. My Custom scan now works as scheduled, along with its animated icon and message box progress indicators.  yay!  Next, I'm hoping that future updates or redesigned UI programs don't cause any more setbacks or regressions. phew.

Thanks again.  Happy holidays to everyone at Avast, and to all Forum participants.  !

--jjb