Author Topic: i need help i cant update  (Read 8406 times)

ozi-82

Re: i need help i cant update
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 12:29:00 AM »
i have done correct with all and i copy servers list .
i do manual update and it was correct so i think it will be good for now i will check automatic updates soon
BIG THX FOR HELP FOR ALL

if i will have any problems i will do post :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2006, 01:05:00 AM »
No problem, glad we could help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Michel-Pierre

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2006, 11:24:27 AM »
avast.setup requires internet access otherwise updates won't work. The avast.setup file is only created at the time of update but this is the folder it will be created in C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup if you want to manually create an application permission in Sygate.

The 1KB files size is incorrect for the current servers.def file so I would suggest deleting it and do a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.

You can try and download the servers.def file and replace your copy of servers.def, instructions and location in this post http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=504.msg169873#msg169873.

Hi,

I’ve also need help to solve updating problem with Avast4. Sorry.
I saw that it must delete  Alwill software/Avast4/setup/awast.setup (9kb) and then copy new and correct file.
My english is bad and I’m not at all sure I have duly understood the process to repare.
Would you precise operation,  when and how new copy must be done, where can I find it ?
Thks.

Michel-Pierre

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2006, 01:34:19 PM »
I saw that it must delete  Alwill software/Avast4/setup/avast.setup (9kb) and then copy new and correct file.
The file is temporary, created at the time of the update... this file is not intended to be manually processed.

My english is bad and I’m not at all sure I have duly understood the process to repare.
To repair your installation go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove.
Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
You must be connected to the internet while repairing.
If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2006, 04:32:30 PM »
Quote from: Michel-Pierre
I saw that it must delete  Alwill software/Avast4/setup/awast.setup (9kb) and then copy new and correct file.
You are confusing two actions/problems.
1. The avast.setup is used for the updates and must be allowed Internet Access by your firewall.
2. The servers.def contains a list of the servers to use when updating, if this becomes corrupt, usually 0KB in size then you need to replace it.

The first thing to do is ensure your firewall allows access to avast.setup, this is more likely to be the problem if your C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\servers.def file is 9KB (8,744 bytes), which is the correct size.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Michel-Pierre

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006, 12:46:08 PM »
Yes,now I can update again  Avast4. The problem (Alert,impossible to connect) was detected on my firewall Zone Alarm, new version.I have checked program and  tick to authorise connection with Avast4 updating and then it's ok.

BEST THANKS to you.

Michel-Pierre (Lille, France)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2006, 02:48:14 PM »
Glad we could help, a belated welcome to the forums.